How to prepare to start as a new call at a new firm after poor articling experience?

QAZWSXEDCRFVTGBYHNUJMIKOLP

QAZWSXEDCRFVTGBYHNUJMIKOLP
  • Lawyer

In short, I am about to start working in civil litigation at a very reputable firm, different from the firm I articled at.

To be honest, I'm absolutely terrified. I had a really poor articling experience as the firm I was at didn't utilize its students and pretty much left us out to dry. I now feel wildly unprepared to be a lawyer and I don't feel like I know anything more than I did after I finished summering.  My future boss has no idea I feel this way and I feel like a fraud.

Has anyone ever been in this situation? I'm not really sure there's much I can do in this next week, but hearing about some personal experiences might be helpful.

Edited by QAZWSXEDCRFVTGBYHNUJMIKOLP
  • Like 1

KOMODO
  • Lawyer

A good firm will teach you most of what you need to know, and/or assign you tasks that enable you to learn what you need to know. New calls aren't expected to know much, and you may be surprised by how much you did learn (in one way or another) through articling. Try not to stress too much and just focus your energy on the assignments you're given once you're there. As it's a litigation position, if you really feel like doing something this week, maybe complete a high level review of the rules of civil procedure. But honestly I think your time would be better spent resting and enjoying yourself.

• Like 2

t3ctonics
  • Lawyer

Most new calls feel like they don't know what they're doing. Other than research, it seemed like everything I did in my first year was brand new to me. It gradually got better - in my second year I only felt like I had no idea where to start on maybe half of my assignments, and by my third some things had become familiar.

Make sure to rely heavily on precedents. There's no point reinventing the wheel and it would be inefficient to try. They're also a good learning opportunity. As you adapt them for your assignments, try to figure out why they are drafted the way they are. When you start you'll want to familiarize yourself with the firm's document management system, and especially the nuances of its search system. This will help you find the most relevant precedents for a given file. Some firms will have selected precedents for certain things, and if so those should take precedence over others, but it can still be helpful to look at another precedent more specific to your particular file and incorporate parts of it.

In the meantime, I second @KOMODO's advice to rest and enjoy the time off, but if you absolutely have to do something review your civil procedure.

• Like 2

Yeah, I knew nothing when I started as an associate. There is a steep learning curve, but you just have to identify who can help you clamber up it. You'll need partners, associates and assistants helping you to get there, but at least where I worked, most people were eager to help.

• Like 1

Rusty Iron Ring
  • Lawyer

A new call who knows that they don't know anything is usually preferable to a new call who thinks they are hot shit.  You probably don't know anything, and nobody does at your level.  Most things you do will be new to you. Follow all the advice above. Don't be afraid to ask questions about why decisions are made a certain way. People are usually happy to fill you in, once they know that you want to know.  You will start off being out of your comfort zone 100% of the time and then, after many years of hard work, it will only be 75% of the time. 

And always be kind and respectful to the staff.  At your level, you have just as much to learn from an experienced assistant or law clerk as from any lawyer. 

And then, when you're more experienced and are hopefully a big shot lawyer yourself, be kind and respectful to the staff anyway, just because. 

• Like 1

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

Yes to all the posts above. I started as an associate in an area of law I had zero experience in and very few of the minimal legal skills I learned during a horrible articling placement were transferable. But, I was up front with the lawyer who hired me and we came to an agreement about expectations. Both of us understood it was going to be a hella steep learning curve but we worked out a reasonable plan on the best ways I can 1) learn and 2) be helpful to the firm while still learning.

Your lack of experience is nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed or worried about - it's normal. Articling is so tough to get these years that lots of people article in a different area or firm than they end up employed as an associate in. The real learning starts AFTER you're hired as an associate. My employer even said he's happier I had no background knowledge or experience, as it would be easier to teach me how to do things the way he wants them done. So it's definitely not a bad thing. And if someone makes you feel like it's a bad thing, i.e. impatient answering questions, rude comments, telling you to figure it out for yourself (i.e. my articling principal), avoid them and find the people who want you to succeed.  Ask questions, ask for feedback, keep notes, and do readings on procedure or policies in your spare time, and get familiar with the precedents base. 

• Like 1

Contract Shmontract
  • Lawyer

I felt and still feel like I had a really great articling experience. My work was varied and complex, I had a lot of support, training and feedback, I was hired back by the firm I articled with into the group I wanted. Yet I still felt “wildly unprepared to be a lawyer”, same as you. My peers said the same. 

So, no need to feel like a fraud because of your poor articling experience. Just feel like a fraud because you’re a new call and you have no idea what you’re doing just like everyone else 😛.

But seriously, don’t let it get to you so much that you become afraid to ask questions too! Sometimes the imposter syndrome makes me not want to ask questions because everyone seems to expect me to know something and I don’t want to admit I don’t for fear of getting caught. That’s really counterproductive! Take every opportunity to learn, including asking questions and seeking feedback.  

• Like 2