Firm Tours?

undertheletter

undertheletter
  • Law Student

My school sent out a long list of firms that are offering tours/networking events in a few weeks and I'm wondering what the general consensus is on these things? Are they worth attending? What should students take away or get out of them?

I'm asking because (a) I would have to adjust my work schedule to attend; (b) I went to one such event in 1L and found it to be not particularly useful and; (c) question if the events are substantively different for the 2L crowd. 

Direct and related advice is appreciated!

ETA: Should go without saying, but I am participating in the 2L Toronto recruit.

Edited by undertheletter

C_Terror
  • Lawyer

If you're a strong candidate on paper, not really worth attending imo. If you want to speak to someone reach out to some alumni in the firms you're interested and ask them for a chat.

If you're not a strong candidate, then yes, go to everyone and try to meet as many people as possible and give them a positive impression of you.

• Like 1

yunglawyer
  • Lawyer

I'd say it's a semi-good way to differentiate the firms when it comes time to applying. Yes, everyone is putting on a show. But go with the goal of talking to as many lawyers/students as possible and you should get a sense of the vibe. 

• Like 1