chances?

boynamedcrow

boynamedcrow
  • Applicant

LSAT (first/only): 161

GPA: 4.33

Probably doing general applicant stream (I'm over 30, gay, and am currently a registered nurse...should I possibly go for Special Consideration?) for 2023 intake. I'm also a TRU alumni, have a BA and BSN. What are my chances, please? Should I re-write the LSAT?

lawandordermaker
  • Law Student

You have a 4.33 GPA and WE? Pretty close to a lock. No offence to TRU but you can probably get into a better school. If the sole goal is admission to TRU, no don't re-write the LSAT. You don't need to apply special with those stats, if anything it would just delay your acceptance. ( people with more expertise feel free to chime in and correct me if I'm wrong ).

Arc2000
  • Applicant
43 minutes ago, boynamedcrow said:

Probably doing general applicant stream (I'm over 30, gay, and am currently a registered nurse...should I possibly go for Special Consideration?) for 2023 intake. I'm also a TRU alumni, have a BA and BSN. What are my chances, please? Should I re-write the LSAT?

I got in early this year with almost identical stats - I was given a A+ TRU grade with a 161 LSAT 🙂

boynamedcrow
  • Applicant
7 minutes ago, lawandordermaker said:

You have a 4.33 GPA and WE? Pretty close to a lock. No offence to TRU but you can probably get into a better school. If the sole goal is admission to TRU, no don't re-write the LSAT. You don't need to apply special with those stats, if anything it would just delay your acceptance. ( people with more expertise feel free to chime in and correct me if I'm wrong ).

Thanks for the reply and confidence boost! I'm a bit naive (and just off night shift)...what does "WE" mean? 

I have considered UBC, mostly because it would be a nice change of scenery, but I live in Kamloops and I think with the increased costs of going to school in Vancouver, the double tuition of TRU probably doesn't hit me any harder. I have a relatively affordable apartment here and am hoping I can work casually as a nurse to pay some bills during school. Also, I'm not very interested in leaving BC. I don't know your experience, but I have heard good things about TRU Law. It sounds like the primary disadvantage is that there is less of an alumni network due to TRU Law's short history. 

Thanks for your advice!

11 minutes ago, Arc2000 said:

I got in early this year with almost identical stats - I was given a A+ TRU grade with a 161 LSAT 🙂

Congratulations!! Thank you for your response! Very encouraging!!

lawandordermaker
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, boynamedcrow said:

Thanks for the reply and confidence boost! I'm a bit naive (and just off night shift)...what does "WE" mean? 

I have considered UBC, mostly because it would be a nice change of scenery, but I live in Kamloops and I think with the increased costs of going to school in Vancouver, the double tuition of TRU probably doesn't hit me any harder. I have a relatively affordable apartment here and am hoping I can work casually as a nurse to pay some bills during school. Also, I'm not very interested in leaving BC. I don't know your experience, but I have heard good things about TRU Law. It sounds like the primary disadvantage is that there is less of an alumni network due to TRU Law's short history. 

Thanks for your advice!

Congratulations!! Thank you for your response! Very encouraging!!

No worries. 

I meant work experience. 

Yeah, those are valid points. I'd still apply to the other BC schools and maybe somewhere like Calgary if I were you. You may change your mind or if by some fluke TRU loses your application or something you won't have all your eggs in one basket. Keeping your options open is always a good thing in my opinion.

Good luck.

HarryCrane
  • Articling Student
12 hours ago, lawandordermaker said:

My understanding of the admission process is that discretionary applicants do not have a delay in the review process, it’s a function of when the application is received and when that stack of applications is reviewed. 

OP is a strong candidate and likely an auto admit based on stats. 

Patient0L
  • Law Student
13 hours ago, boynamedcrow said:

If you apply before Oct 15th (and don’t say anything offensive in your PS), you’ll probably have an offer in November.

Also, your statement pretty much writes itself: You’re part of the community, you want to continue to be part of your community, so that you can support your community, by practicing law in your community…