Been wait listed since April 27, what's next?

takemebacktothe2000s

takemebacktothe2000s
  • Law School Admit

Wow, the responses in this thread are callous and shallow for reasons unknown to me. I never thought asking for a decision based on the fact that I submitted an application would ever be a controversial opinion. 

Glad to know that people on here are experienced professionals in admitting law students based on the fact that everyone is claiming I would or would not have gotten in. Not wanting to continue this useless conversation any further, I'll end with what I've been stating from the get - everyone is entitled to a response from the school. Clearly some of you think that finding out in August/September is an acceptable time-frame. I don't. And you're absolutely right, clearly I should have researched the unscientific and completely biased/selective law school forum websites for insight onto when they give out their decisions. But I didn't, and relied on their common sense and the understanding that students need time to decide on a school.

Guess that old-fashioned logic didn't really work out for me then. I wish everyone luck on their law school applications and hope the people that are still waiting on Osgoode to get a response soon. Because unlike the select few on this thread that apparently can discern who can get in where based on little knowledge - I know that there are plenty of people out there waiting for a decision. I hope those people, like me, get some closure soon so we can plan our lives. 😊

• Like 1

takemebacktothe2000s
  • Law School Admit
44 minutes ago, OzLaw16 said:

I understand the frustration on your end and I don't mean to invalidate your disappointment in having to wait, but blaming any disappointment you face solely on the failures of others and assuming that you're not getting what you want purely because people around you are dumb and incompetent isn't the way to go. If you get into law school, you'll likely face more rejection at various points (when applying for competitive extracurriculars, when doing OCIs, etc.) and so this isn't a good habit to be developing.  

Not really disappointed that I'm waiting - more perplexed I would say. I've applied to schools outside of Ontario and have heard back within months. My only problem is that Osgoode is silent well into June and at this point July. If you can't understand why I feel the way that I feel, I guess there's nothing more to say. 

Apple
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, takemebacktothe2000s said:

Not sure how many ways I have to say the same sentence: I'm not asking for admission, I'm asking for a DECISION. 

There is a difference here. I agree that my stats are average for their applicants. I never claimed I was entitled to get into the school. However after paying hundreds of dollars in application fees, I'm absolutely entitled to a decision. It's weird that you think I'm not even entitled to a response from the school. And again, my qualms are not with who they admit or don't admit, it's the fact that we are 2 days away from July and I along with many others have heard zip from the school. I don't think anyone on here is demanding to storm the halls of Osgoode and be admitted as students, we're asking for an answer. And I agree, the school may be competitive and they may have lots of applicants, but they need to offset the large number of applications with an equally robust process to give students an answer in a reasonable amount of time.

See the issue is you have heard something and have been given a decision. You’ve not heard zip. You have been firmly told that you’re not admitted at this time but that they’re willing to keep you in consideration should a spot open up. 

Even if you have not heard something, such as being waitlisted, the schools are entitled to continue to communicate to people or not until they decide. Heck, I joking state to this day that I’ve never received a response from Queen’s (they never accepted, rejected or waitlisted me). What you think is unreasonable delay is par to the course for almost every law school across this country. They mostly all have waitlists and many students every year never hear about whether they’re off the list or not. You applying does not entitle you to a response it just entitles you to being considered. 

I do understand your frustration, angst and perhaps discontentment, but it seems that these rightful feeling turned into some unwarranted ridicule of the admissions office. 

• Like 2

Thelight
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, Sacamano said:

The logic utilized here is indicative of why Osgoode hasn't admitted you.

Additionally, if you had done any kind of research on the application process, you'd see students not hearing back until the last week of August. In rare cases, even the first week of September. Welcome to the world where no one cares about your conception of a reasonable amount of time.

They don’t care? Well maybe they should. You’d think an institution with the status of Osgoode could process everyone’s applications in a timely manner. Maybe we paid a damn application fee and are actual human beings who need to have an actual answer in a reasonable amount of time ( 8 months for Christ’s sake) order to prepare for the not so distant future (September). Maybe your parents take care of that all for you but I myself am not spoon-fed, so it would be kinda nice if they did their jobs in a timely way so I know how my living arrangement is gonna look like well in advance. It really can’t be anything other than incompetence. Don’t get triggered when I say that. I am not saying it’s that for sure but given the dead silence, it’s the only thing I can conclude. I got one response from them a little while ago and it seems I am unofficially waitlisted. They basically told me that I am a really competitive candidate but they had filled up their whole class and something tells me they did it before even reviewing my file. I mean how does it make sense that after April 1, they continue to accept from queue? By that date, everyone should either be accepted, waitlisted or rejected. If they truly saw my file before April 1 and deemed me a borderline candidate, they would simply waitlist me. The fact that they accept from queue in April and beyond seems sus because it hints that they delay reviewing some people’s files until after April 1. And that’s obviously messed up because now I finally get a chance to have my file seen but I am vying with other candidates for a much smaller amount of available seats. In short, all I ask is that they don’t hand out acceptances like snacks and empty their jar before actually reviewing EVERYONE’s files so as to ensure that the whole process remains comparative. Otherwise, what the hell is the point of all this? I can’t even expect that? 

• Thanks 1

Lawllapalooza
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, takemebacktothe2000s said:

I didn't think you were accusing me of being way better/worse. Must just be miscommunication there.

I also don't understand how you're accusing me of "whining". I think paying hundreds of dollars and applying for law school is a serious endeavour. Whining is reserved for complaining how your Amazon package has yet to arrive. Genuinely inquiring about the status of my law school application and why Osgoode takes so long to make a decision is something I am absolutely entitled to question - since, again, I submitted an application. I paid for a service and I am entitled to getting a decision. Again - NOT admission, but a decision.

You can think of your waitlist at this point like being on standby for a flight. The decision is this: regretfully we're booked but if anyone cancels their ticket or doesn't show you're in the group of those we'll offer the seats to. That's as much of a decision as they can give you once enough flight tickets have been booked (/offers have been made). Now, you can make the decision to decline standby/the waitlist, but they cannot (or...should not...) offer spots they don't know if they have. The decision/status is essentially: you're rejected if you don't want to wait (you'll have to find a flight with a different airline or book try booking again with us for a future flight), but if you're willing to wait then we'll let you know if room opens up.

• Like 2

takemebacktothe2000s
  • Law School Admit
9 minutes ago, Thelight said:

They don’t care? Well maybe they should. You’d think an institution with the status of Osgoode could process everyone’s applications in a timely manner. Maybe we paid a damn application fee and are actual human beings who need to have an actual answer in a reasonable amount of time ( 8 months for Christ’s sake) order to prepare for the not so distant future (September). Maybe your parents take care of that all for you but I myself am not spoon-fed, so it would be kinda nice if they did their jobs in a timely way so I know how my living arrangement is gonna look like well in advance. It really can’t be anything other than incompetence. Don’t get triggered when I say that. I am not saying it’s that for sure but given the dead silence, it’s the only thing I can conclude. I got one response from them a little while ago and it seems I am unofficially waitlisted. They basically told me that I am a really competitive candidate but they had filled up their whole class and something tells me they did it before even reviewing my file. I mean how does it make sense that after April 1, they continue to accept from queue? By that date, everyone should either be accepted, waitlisted or rejected. If they truly saw my file before April 1 and deemed me a borderline candidate, they would simply waitlist me. The fact that they accept from queue in April and beyond seems sus because it hints that they delay reviewing some people’s files until after April 1. And that’s obviously messed up because now I finally get a chance to have my file seen but I am vying with other candidates for a much smaller amount of available seats. In short, all I ask is that they don’t hand out acceptances like snacks and empty their jar before actually reviewing EVERYONE’s files so as to ensure that the whole process remains comparative. Otherwise, what the hell is the point of all this? I can’t even expect that? 

Thank you for being the one person on here with some semblance of logic, decency, and common courtesy. I think a lot of people on here are trust-fund kids that rely on mommy and daddy to fund their lifestyle. I don't, and with a family to take care of and living arrangements that need to be made, I deserve to receive an answer as to my admittance or not. 

And not sure why everyone on here is getting triggered by the fact that I'm calling out Osgoode's admission department for their incompetence. Not giving people a response well into the summer is incompetence. Having more than 8 months to review everyone's file (despite the fact that some haven't had their file reviewed, or some people are getting in with weird stats that don't match the competitive rate) is more than enough time to make a decision - and the fact that they haven't is incompetence. 

Again, I come back to the fact that everyone paid huge sums of money to have their application reviewed and to be given a decision in a timely fashion. It's not too much to ask for the admissions department to complete their ONE JOB that they have to do all year. In fact, it's asking for the bare minimum. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Angry 1

Whist
  • Law Student

I understand the frustration, but the responses in this thread are wild. You got waitlisted, which is a decision. It's not Osgoode's responsibility to ensure you get off it (if you do) at a time that's convenient for you. You applied there, so it's your job to make things work on your end. It's not their fault if you live out of province or some other inconvenience. If you aren't happy being on the waitlist, pull your application. 

I acknowledge it sucks to have to wait this long, but come on man.

• Like 3

takemebacktothe2000s
  • Law School Admit
10 minutes ago, Lawllapalooza said:

You can think of your waitlist at this point like being on standby for a flight. The decision is this: regretfully we're booked but if anyone cancels their ticket or doesn't show you're in the group of those we'll offer the seats to. That's as much of a decision as they can give you once enough flight tickets have been booked (/offers have been made). Now, you can make the decision to decline standby/the waitlist, but they cannot (or...should not...) offer spots they don't know if they have. The decision/status is essentially: you're rejected if you don't want to wait (you'll have to find a flight with a different airline or book try booking again with us for a future flight), but if you're willing to wait then we'll let you know if room opens up.

I get that, honestly I do understand the concept of the wait list. However it's not like this is the first year Osgoode is operating as a law school. They are well-versed in the law school admissions cycle and I am honestly shocked and perplexed that this is the way they conduct business. I don't think letting students know well into the summer as to whether they are in or out helps anybody, especially the students.

• LOL 1

takemebacktothe2000s
  • Law School Admit
1 minute ago, Liavas said:

I understand the frustration, but the responses in this thread are wild. You got waitlisted, which is a decision. It's not Osgoode's responsibility to ensure you get off it (if you do) at a time that's convenient for you. You applied there, so it's your job to make things work on your end. It's not their fault if you live out of province or some other inconvenience. If you aren't happy being on the waitlist, pull your application. 

I acknowledge it sucks to have to wait this long, but come on man.

I understand what you're saying, but I have received decisions from other schools outside of Ontario months ago. So that is why my responses are "wild", because it's majorly confusing that schools outside of Ontario have all managed to review everyone's file, make a decision, and let the applicants know well before April. I just don't understand why Osgoode takes this long. That's why I started the thread to begin with - if anyone else had any ideas on what it is about this particular school that makes them susceptible to longer wait times. From what I've seen, there aren't any reasons except people getting triggered by the fact that I'm calling the admissions department incompetent...which is it is, based on my experience from all the other schools I've applied to and received a decision from. 

Gamgee
  • Law Student
2 minutes ago, takemebacktothe2000s said:

-snip-

My advice is you're not going to get anywhere calling others "trust-fund kids" and insulting people. I know from reading through years of past content on the old forum that many of the people giving you advice went through difficult situations and worked hard to get where they are now, to discount them because you don't like the advice is childish. 

You're frustrated at the lack of communication of a school, it's understandable, but people have given you a lot of advice, some that you want to hear and others that you don't. Just take what advice you want, and leave it at that .. 

• Like 2

Lawllapalooza
  • Lawyer
2 minutes ago, takemebacktothe2000s said:

I get that, honestly I do understand the concept of the wait list. However it's not like this is the first year Osgoode is operating as a law school. They are well-versed in the law school admissions cycle and I am honestly shocked and perplexed that this is the way they conduct business. I don't think letting students know well into the summer as to whether they are in or out helps anybody, especially the students.

It sounds like you're advocating for an earlier deadline where provisional acceptances become firm and deposits are due. I think part of the issue is that schools wait on final grades from some applicants in their fourth year. Additionally, there will always be a waitlist as there is always the possibility that students will drop out after paying their deposit, or even just not show up to orientation. Again, if you don't want to be in the pool of those who have the chance to get those spots if they open up, nobody is forcing you to be.

In any case I appreciate that waiting sucks, and uprooting your life so close to September also sucks. Earlier decisions would certainly be ideal, though that's much larger than an issue with Osgoode. I'm sure many factors play into the July 1 deadline. Wishing you luck, wherever you end up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sacamano
  • Law Student
9 minutes ago, takemebacktothe2000s said:

I understand what you're saying, but I have received decisions from other schools outside of Ontario months ago. So that is why my responses are "wild", because it's majorly confusing that schools outside of Ontario have all managed to review everyone's file, make a decision, and let the applicants know well before April. I just don't understand why Osgoode takes this long. That's why I started the thread to begin with - if anyone else had any ideas on what it is about this particular school that makes them susceptible to longer wait times. From what I've seen, there aren't any reasons except people getting triggered by the fact that I'm calling the admissions department incompetent...which is it is, based on my experience from all the other schools I've applied to and received a decision from. 

Let's not forget it was actually to insult the admissions folk

• Like 1

meandtheboys
  • Law Student
4 minutes ago, takemebacktothe2000s said:

that I'm calling the admissions department incompetent...which is it is,

You're calling the admissions department incompetent for waitlisting you?  Isn't that a perfectly reasonable response, given that you're not good enough to be outright accepted nor bad enough to be outright rejected?

I don't know what else you expect them to do.  If you're at an age where you're applying to law school you can't expect the school to spell out how you need to act once you receive a waitlist decision.  Just treat it as a rejection and move on.

• Like 8

undertheletter
  • Law Student

I think you’re failing to realize that being waitlisted is a decision. I was waitlisted at U of T this cycle, and I decided that if I didn’t hear any change by Mid-June, I would accept another offer. To me, they made their decision, and any further change to that decision was contingent on whether any students changed their mind later on. 

The adcom obviously read your application, since they put you on a waitlist. That’s all there is to it. Stop blaming them for the fact that your application wasn’t as strong as others. Stop calling them incompetent - they’re not. You simply don’t get how it works, since they did in fact provide you with a decision. Given the cycle this year, and the overbooking seen at Usask and TRU, I would (and did) treat a waitlist as a rejection.

You also can’t complain about life-planning. Everything is a choice. You either go elsewhere (assuming you have other offers), or else you forego those offers with the hope that a spot opens up at Osgoode. Each decision has costs and benefits (and risks). In the end, you won’t have your cake and eat it too.

• Like 4

BlackcurrantBanana
  • Applicant

A couple questions:

1) Haven’t you already committed to Dal, as per your post history?

2) If so, by staying on the waitlist aren’t you contributing to the problem that you are frustrated with?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Whist
  • Law Student
7 minutes ago, takemebacktothe2000s said:

Oz got 3,600 applications or so this year. Schools outside Ontario get fewer, sometimes a lot fewer. I mean, I still haven't heard anything from Queens.

I got waitlisted at my top choice, and had deposit dates coming up for my second choice(s). So I made the decision to go with one of my second choices (which I'm perfectly happy with). You can't always make a choice under ideal circumstances, life doesn't work that way. You think Oz's adcom is incompetent, but why leave yourself on the waitlist and trust them on the slim chance you get a spot, then? Moreover, pretty sure their adcom involves upper year students in some capacity, and if you think they're incompetent, why would you want to be educated at the same school?

• Like 1

Sacamano
  • Law Student
25 minutes ago, takemebacktothe2000s said:

Thank you for being the one person on here with some semblance of logic

Sorry, I've just got to say this was a laugh, all considering.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Parker
  • Law Student
24 minutes ago, takemebacktothe2000s said:

schools outside of Ontario have all managed to review everyone's file, make a decision, and let the applicants know well before April. 

You received offers from Dal and schools outside of Ontario because you had competitive stats for them. I, on the other hand, had lower stats than you and just (legit two days ago) heard back from Dal and UNB (a week ago). Every single law school has this problem where they have to put people on waitlists and give later notice to some applicants. Oz is a really competitive school and your application was good enough to get on the waitlist. At Dal, your application was competitive enough to get admitted earlier on in the process whereas people like me had to wait much later to hear back at all. 

Edited by Parker
  • Like 3

Thelight
  • Applicant
6 minutes ago, Sacamano said:

Sorry, I've just got to say this was a laugh, all considering.

Yeah that’s funny cuz you know you don’t have anything solid to respond to me. You truly know that my frustration is valid and I truly got dealt an unlucky and shitty outcome considering almost anyone with my stats would have been in long ago in previous cycles. And honestly whatever… it is my fault for applying this cycle and maybe it will tone down the next one. Or it won’t. I have 2 options it seems. Either bump my GPA and LSAT to presumptive admit status or get a lousy 3.1 GPA and 155 LSAT but have a nice compelling sob story and talk about my trip to Zimbabwe that my parents funded where I was able to be a beacon of hope for all the helpless people there. But God forbid that you get anything around the median. I mean it’s not like those stats are representative  of your typical Osgoode student. 

• Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
10 minutes ago, Thelight said:

get a lousy 3.1 GPA and 155 LSAT but have a nice compelling sob story and talk about my trip to Zimbabwe that my parents funded where I was able to be a beacon of hope for all the helpless people there.

If you think this is how admissions work, you truly are clueless.

Funny enough, there was someone on the old forums who fit this description to a tee. They posted about getting rejected from UofC and asking how to appeal the decision (lol). When describing their (mediocre) profile they repeated emphasized their voluntourism (not that they used the word) trip to Africa as if that made them special and should override their below-median stats. They got savaged in that thread, by users who included a law professor and people who had been involved with law school admissions. Contrary to that being how things work, those people you allude to tend to come across in an incredibly off-putting way to admissions committees.

But it couldn't just be that some people's profiles are in any way somehow better than yours, right? Surely that isn't the reason they got admitted and you didn't.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Disbarred said:

If all your takeaway is that you got screwed by this “special year” you have a lot of waking up to do. You probably wouldn’t have gotten in last year either. And your responses in this thread indicate why.

If weird, angsty posts on anonymous law student forums were a barrier to entry for law school, a lot of us would have very different careers. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 4