What to do now?

MMMrhmm

MMMrhmm
  • Law Student

So I came down with Covid near exam season and had to defer the bulk of my 1L exams this April. Got all my marks today. 3 Bs, 1 B-, 2 Cs. Ironically I have a 1L job working in public legal education in the field of of one of the subjects I got a C in (no idea how to explain that dichotomy on future interviews). Feeling dejected and demoralized. 1L was a disaster. I was unprepared and didn't know what I was doing, while simultaneously dealing with some personal situations (a divorce, and my grandfather dying). Obviously, my recruit and OCI hopes are dashed and its probably not even worth applying for the 2L recruit. Im just not sure how to proceed, given that I really wanted to end up in BigLaw, and that door seems forever closed to me now. Im debating dropping out, but wanted to hear if anyone had any other suggestions, and what I could do to make myself competitive for the articling recruit, and if that is even possible at this point?

Edited by MMMrhmm
more information

goodisgood
  • Law Student

Hey, if you haven't already read these last couple topics (I know the situation is not entirely the same, but they've also had to deal with low grades) I recommend reading through:

Ryn and others posted advice, words of comfort, etc. 

Frenchie posted this: https://obiter-dicta.ca/2017/03/17/people-who-got-cs-and-lived-to-tell-the-tale/

I don't think you should drop out unless you also hate everything you've been learning. If there was a prof you connected with, maybe you should have a chat with them or talk to your CDO. 

• Like 1

MMMrhmm
  • Law Student

What is bothering me most is that the course I enjoyed the most and thought I got at least a B+ on (Constitutional) and is my passion, is one of the Cs. 

Edited by MMMrhmm
  • Like 1
  • Nom! 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
1 minute ago, MMMrhmm said:

What is bothering me most is that the course I enjoyed the most and thought I got at least a B+ on (Constitutional) and is my passion, is one of the Cs. 

Having one's worst grade being in their favourite course is oddly common; join the club.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1

MMMrhmm
  • Law Student

Would anyone say it is even worth applying for the 2L recruit, or should I just not waste my time, and find something else to do for that summer?

17 minutes ago, MMMrhmm said:

Im debating dropping out, but wanted to hear if anyone had any other suggestions, and what I could do to make myself competitive for the articling recruit, and if that is even possible at this point?

I get it's disappointing for your specific career aspirations. But no, unless you don't want to be a lawyer anymore, you shouldn't drop out. You can still get an articling position. A lot of students have below average grades. A lot of them go on to find articles and become successful lawyers.

• Like 3

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

Why would you self select out of the process if you are interested in a job from that process? You're having an overreaction to your grades. You're a slightly below average academic candidate. There are plenty of those every year that get jobs in all types of recruits, including the 2L recruit.

Polish your resume and cover letters, practice your interview skills and figure out how you can improve your grades going forward. And if you want a job in the recruit, apply for it. The worst that can happen is you don't get one, which is a 100% certainty if you choose not to apply.

Time to toughen up and show some perseverance. Dropping out when you're still enjoying law school generally and want to be a lawyer is like throwing a tantrum.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MMMrhmm said:

Would anyone say it is even worth applying for the 2L recruit, or should I just not waste my time, and find something else to do for that summer?

I would absolutely apply. If anything for the sheer experience, though certainly put in maximal effort if you are going to go through the process (in other words, don’t just go through the motions because you’re not optimistic). Firms look for all kinds of potential students, and many people with Cs landed jobs (I did!). Just temper your expectations of course. But your grades aren’t “so bad” that I’d suggest not bothering.

Also your 1L job might help a bit, especially if you got some good experience and came away with some references.  

goodisgood
  • Law Student
26 minutes ago, MMMrhmm said:

While I didn't plan on pursuing criminal law, my professors for that course were all great. I tried super hard, went above and beyond in participating, did extra work outside of class because of some very thought provoking material (R v Sullivan/Chan, R v Barton), and... it ended up being my worst grade. Conversely, a course that I thought I did terribly on because of lack of sleep ended up being one of my best grades. Just saying this is probably more normal than you think. 

• Like 1

Lawllapalooza
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, MMMrhmm said:

Im just not sure how to proceed, given that I really wanted to end up in BigLaw, and that door seems forever closed to me now. 

1 hour ago, MMMrhmm said:

If constitutional law is your passion, I encourage you to consider avenues beyond BigLaw.

MMMrhmm
  • Law Student
35 minutes ago, Lawllapalooza said:

If constitutional law is your passion, I encourage you to consider avenues beyond BigLaw.

I was hoping to aim at litigation in BigLaw or a niche litigation boutique. Do you have any other suggestions?

1 hour ago, Rashabon said:

Why would you self select out of the process if you are interested in a job from that process? You're having an overreaction to your grades. You're a slightly below average academic candidate. There are plenty of those every year that get jobs in all types of recruits, including the 2L recruit.

Polish your resume and cover letters, practice your interview skills and figure out how you can improve your grades going forward. And if you want a job in the recruit, apply for it. The worst that can happen is you don't get one, which is a 100% certainty if you choose not to apply.

Time to toughen up and show some perseverance. Dropping out when you're still enjoying law school generally and want to be a lawyer is like throwing a tantrum.

Given the lack of previous law experience and my undergrad being an arts degree, any suggestions on how to tailor my resume and cover letter?

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
4 hours ago, MMMrhmm said:

I was hoping to aim at litigation in BigLaw or a niche litigation boutique. Do you have any other suggestions?

Given the lack of previous law experience and my undergrad being an arts degree, any suggestions on how to tailor my resume and cover letter?

Most people lack previous law experience and your undergrad being an arts degree is irrelevant. Start researching the firms you intend to apply to and make sure your cover letter speaks to why you want to work at the firm and what you bring to the table. Make sure your resume is up to date, positions your experience in a positive light, etc. I'm not a resume expert but there are plenty of people here who have given advice on that stuff.

Search around on the forums as there is lots of advice about this stuff.

Psychometronic
  • Lawyer
5 hours ago, MMMrhmm said:

It's not uncommon for people to circle back down the line. Law is a long game and there are high notes and low notes. Disappointments come in different forms and you're not free from it after landing a job. Most of the people I graduated with (and basically everyone I know personally) landed on their feet one way or another. Lots of people who aspired to get a job through OCIs and didn't land found other jobs that worked for them. Who knows, you might get a job outside the recruit and be glad you did. Go for the jobs you want, temper your expectations, persevere and be open to new things.

And lol, I am in civil litigation and civil procedure was one of my worse grades. Your real training happens outside of class.

• Like 4

MMMrhmm
  • Law Student

After some reflecting and letting the hysterics pass, I am beginning to see some upsides here, chief amongst them the fact that I was previously conflicted between taking litigation focused courses that appealed to me (such as statutory interpretation) as well as generally interesting courses (such as law and religion) on the one hand, and courses that I felt I just had to take because it would be necessary to be more viable in the BigLaw recruit, particularly here in Alberta (such as Energy Law), even if I had absolutely no interest in it. Now, a part of me is like "well, that OCI door seems to have taken a hit anyways, might as well change up the schedule for next year a bit". Im still feeling despondent and dejected, but I feel like its also made decision making easier.

ZukoJD
  • Law Student

You are far from out of it. Even if you don’t land a job in the recruit, life will go on and you’ll likely find articles somewhere else-the vast majority of us do. 

As someone who has had their back against the wall previously in life, let me tell you, things can get WAY better, but it takes some persistence and belief in the process. 

Start thinking about ways you can improve your grades going forward and overall competitiveness. Start networking with lawyers in positions you’re interested in. Seek out opportunities to build your resume (there’s many for law students, but you have to look sometimes). If you start taking some small steps today towards building that life you envisioned for yourself, you will likely be surprised at how far you’ve come several years down the road. 

СлаваУкраїні
  • Law Student

I too am one of those people whose favourite subject was his worst grade. And whose best grade was the final he thought he did the worst on.

Edited by СлаваУкраїні