How many firms to apply to for 2L recruit

Lawstudent9898

xdarkwhite
  • Lawyer
11 hours ago, QueensDenning said:

Mea culpa. Who cares, was more intending to mock the idea of not applying to a firm based on what i believe a misconception about narrowing oneself - since as I’ve repeated, as far as I understand both of those firms allow you to do basically whatever work you’d like to (based on their NY or TO office - up to the choice of the student). 

It's not a misconception, though. The Paul, Weiss/Skadden/Shearman Toronto offices only practice capital markets and M&A (and maybe a touch of finance). Your application would pretty much be immediately thrown out if the cover letter said you were looking to get into litigation, because that clearly shows you've done no research into what they do.

Yes, in your summer you will typically spend 3-4 weeks in NY and 6-7 weeks in Toronto where you can try whatever you want during the NY portion, but if you intend to take a return offer to their Toronto offices, it'll only be for their corporate departments. And it's actually even narrower than that because there's no Funds, Tax, transactional IP, etc. work out of these offices – again, because it's basically only capital markets and M&A (and it's between 60-90% capital markets work depending on which firm).

And that's not even to mention the fact that you won't be practicing Ontario law at all – these offices only practice New York law and you will be required to be admitted to the New York bar (with no requirement to be called to the Ontario bar). Not that it's a huge hurdle if you wanted to lateral afterwards to a Canadian firm or in-house, particularly when it comes to corporate work, but it's a hurdle nonetheless.

Edited by xdarkwhite
  • Thanks 1

Lawstudent9898

Well this turned into more than I expected. 

Thanks to everyone that helped answer my question - I will apply a bit more broadly and aim for around 25-28 firms. 

Also some of you are too much and it’s not worth engaging in back and forth but I will say just let people ask their questions and answer them/raise concerns nicely so we can create a positive space. 

Edited by Lawstudent9898
  • Like 1

LMP
  • Articling Student
17 minutes ago, Lawstudent9898 said:

Well this turned into more than I expected lol.

Thanks to everyone that helped answer my question - I will apply a bit more broadly and aim for around 25-28 firms! 

Also some of you are too much. Just let people ask their questions and answer them nicely so we can create a positive space and help each other. 

Don't mention that last part during your interviews.