Big Law year jumps

C_Terror

C_Terror
  • Lawyer

In light of the great attrition of 2021, has anybody heard of/experienced a pay increase by artificially increasing one's year of call? This is purely from the rumour mill but as a method of retention, I heard there was a firm offering an associate a "pay bump" by internally classifying her 2 years more senior than what she currently is. (I.e. a 3rd year of call getting paid 5th year and this sticks as she progresses; when she's 5th year she'll be getting 7th year base). For clarity, she'd still be doing work as a 3rd year and will be advertised as such.

Is there any merit to this rumour or did I just fall victim to bullsh!t?

Edited by C_Terror

I've heard of this from the partners discussing a candidate asking for this in an interview, and not in a good light.

• Like 1

Satan
  • Lawyer

It has happened at my firm a few times (downtown Toronto global firm), never two jumps but jumping one year has happened as least 3 times, in each case the associate received a 40k raise instead of the standard 20k. 

The associates didn’t have their year of call changed on the website or anything, but for some clients their billable rate did increase to the next step as well. 

C_Terror
  • Lawyer
13 hours ago, Satan said:

It has happened at my firm a few times (downtown Toronto global firm), never two jumps but jumping one year has happened as least 3 times, in each case the associate received a 40k raise instead of the standard 20k. 

The associates didn’t have their year of call changed on the website or anything, but for some clients their billable rate did increase to the next step as well. 

Good to know, thanks! Was this for any special reason, i.e. they were in an invaluable practise area, super stars or did they just ask for it? 

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

I've only seen it in laterals from other jurisdictions personally. I have seen people held back a year before as well.

Satan
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, C_Terror said:

Good to know, thanks! Was this for any special reason, i.e. they were in an invaluable practise area, super stars or did they just ask for it? 

Of the two I know personally, both in different practice groups, one was offered it and was a high performer, the other got it sort of in lieu of a higher bonus.