UBC admissions wokeness

CBay

pastmidnight
  • Law Student
51 minutes ago, Hegdis said:

UVic is located on Vancouver Island which is part of BC. We voted NDP. We are traditionally more left wing than the rest of the country. 

Whatever lawyer called the students at UVic fluffy tree huggers is a moron.

The school has a fine reputation for churning out quality graduates. That they might be more likely to vote Green has exactly zero to do with their capability discerning the law or their effectiveness as advocates.  Be careful that you don’t equate politics you don’t like to stupidity, and that you don’t rely overmuch on your lawyer friend who apparently has.

Plenty of smart people of all political stripes. Well respected counsel of all kinds hold all sorts of personal beliefs you might not like. You are letting your bias blind you, and that’s a shame. 

At this point I don’t see the point in anyone trying to engage further with OP. Their comments about UBC students based on information shared in a private FB group crossed a line for me, as did their comments about UVic students. If they do decide to go to UBC I don’t see how their comments about the FB group aren’t going to make it back to other students. It’s probably in their best interest that this conversation doesn’t keep going and it doesn’t become even easier for people to link their comments back to them. 

I’m not trying to spoil people’s fun, but I don’t think OP is cognizant of what they’re opening themselves up to, and their refusal to listen to people like you makes it clear that they don't have the self-awareness to take a step back and stop digging a hole for themselves. 

FellowTraveler
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, pastmidnight said:

At this point I don’t see the point in anyone trying to engage further with OP. Their comments about UBC students based on information shared in a private FB group crossed a line for me, as did their comments about UVic students. If they do decide to go to UBC I don’t see how their comments about the FB group aren’t going to make it back to other students. It’s probably in their best interest that this conversation doesn’t keep going and it doesn’t become even easier for people to link their comments back to them. 

I’m not trying to spoil people’s fun, but I don’t think OP is cognizant of what they’re opening themselves up to, and their refusal to listen to people like you makes it clear that they don't have the self-awareness to take a step back and stop digging a hole for themselves. 

Yeah, "if they do decide to go to UBC." Because I can guarantee you Ozzies are thrilled to be winning this lottery.

• LOL 5

CBay
  • Law School Admit
On 8/6/2022 at 8:56 PM, Hegdis said:

Where exactly do we disagree? This really is a court directive. There really was a big debate about Mrs vs Ms. It really is increasingly common in the professional world to include an indication of preferred pronouns. 

Not sure where there is a lot of room for disagreement in my post.  

My apologies, I must have missed this. Here goes:

On 8/6/2022 at 7:25 PM, Hegdis said:

So obviously you wouldn't know this but it's a court directive that counsel identify their name and preferred pronouns before every court appearance in BC. 

I had read about it. It's a court directive because a small group unilaterally decided to make it a directive a year or so back. I also know that it saw pushback from lawyers and academics across the country, with over 1,400 members of the BC bar wanting to debate the directive. Hardly a settled issue. 

And lawyers are hardly known for being "woke".

Erm, how many other professions in BC operate under a directive to use pronouns at their workplace? 

It's more of a shift to "I don't wish to be an asshole by assuming things about you so I'd like a heads up on your preferred form of address."

While I understand that you and others may see it that way, I don't. 

Anyway in ten years the idea of not using preferred pronouns in one's email signature or resume will be equally weird.

I think this very much remains to be seen. I think it's in fashion in the current cultural climate. I very much doubt it will be around after another decade or two, when enough people have been affected by it and start to push back. I'm old enough to remember when society moved to plastic straws to save the trees, only to move to paper straws to save the turtles. I can't see the practice becoming any less cringe in the future in the eyes of the majority, but who knows. Come back to me then, I might have to eat these words. 

Back in the Good Old Days when I was a law applicant, we still had people getting outraged by the shift from "Mrs" and "Miss" to the much broader "Ms"

I don't really think the two are comparable cultural shifts in terms of their magnitude or their potential down-stream effects and implications.

17 hours ago, Hegdis said:

UVic is located on Vancouver Island which is part of BC. We voted NDP. We are traditionally more left wing than the rest of the country. 

All true. 

Whatever lawyer called the students at UVic fluffy tree huggers is a moron.

Be careful that you don’t equate politics you don’t like to stupidity. Oh wait, those were your words, not mine. 

The school has a fine reputation for churning out quality graduates. That they might be more likely to vote Green has exactly zero to do with their capability discerning the law or their effectiveness as advocates. Be careful that you don’t equate politics you don’t like to stupidity.

See? And agreed. 

Plenty of smart people of all political stripes. Well respected counsel of all kinds hold all sorts of personal beliefs you might not like. 

Agreed. 

You are letting your bias blind you, and that’s a shame. 

Am I? I'm not sure I'm letting anything blind me. I have no skin in the UVic game, and I don't think being aware of an organization's culture or environment constitutes any kind of blindness. Just the opposite. And I acknowledge my bias, or perhaps it would be more accurate to say lack of bias in this instance. Just because someone does not openly endorse or display an unqualified agreement of an idea or cultural trend does not equate to a de facto bias against it. It may be more that those who endorse the change are biased towards it. I could equally sit back and say to you that you are a progressive lawyer, governed by one of the most progressive local bar associations, located in once of the most progressive places on the planet, and say that your casual acceptance of these changes as society's 'new norm' reflects a complacency and/or lack of awareness towards your own biases. But then, we all have our biases, don't we, so I won't hold those against you.

Edited by CBay
context
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1

ZineZ
  • Lawyer

Hey folks, I'm locking this thread. It has gone past its original topic and is well past any semblance of usefulness (if any existed). 

Fun's over. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• ZineZ locked this topic