iPad for 1L

elle.woods

elle.woods
  • Law Student

Hi all! I'm in a fortunate position where a relative has offered to gift me an iPad for law school (I will be starting school in the fall). Is this something that would be useful to me for reading/marking up course materials etc.? I've heard from one friend that she found a lot of use in an iPad for law school, but I would like a second opinion to make sure its something I would actually utilize. Thanks! 

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

Tablets are great for doing readings on if you like that kinda thing, terrible for taking notes. 

• Like 1

Electricity
  • Law Student

I've seen a few people use a tablet and stylus for note taking. I found it pretty mind-boggling but they seemed to make it work. 

• Like 1

Turtles
  • Law Student

How do you take notes? I annotate slide decks and/or scribble a few main ideas on paper because I want to stay engaged in the moment. iPad would be great for that. But it wouldn't be as great if you're one of the many 1Ls who feels the need to write down everything that is said verbatim.

I can't stand digital textbooks and never bring books to school so I can't comment on whether it would be worthwhile for textbook purposes. I don't mark anything up in my books.

• Like 1

Jeepers97
  • Articling Student

You can try it out! Worst case scenario someone gave you an iPad for free. Everyone has their own style of learning! 

• Like 3

EmbeddedClause
  • Law Student

0L opinion: I love using my iPad for reading/note-taking/annotating PDFs, and I used it pretty heavily during my undergrad. You can even use it as an external monitor.

Tangentially, I just purchased some of the digital editions of my 1L textbooks from Emond, and I am full of regret. My initial evaluation of their iPad app is that... it's fairly useless. No Apple pencil support, so you have to type in your annotations. I don't think you can even highlight anything. It's frustrating and not user-friendly. I wish I had tried out the app beforehand. Please learn from my mistake, friends.

Edit: figured out how to highlight text finally, but I stand by my opinion that physical textbooks are probably the better way to go for anything published by Emond. 

Edited by EmbeddedClause
I learned something new.
  • Like 1