• Law Student
45 minutes ago, random said:

No from Gilbert's, yes from Heer

Sorry, so a PFO from Gilbert's or you have not heard anything? Thanks

random
  • Law Student
10 minutes ago, Randomstudent said:

Sorry, so a PFO from Gilbert's or you have not heard anything? Thanks

Have not heard anything from Gilbert's - sorry to be unclear!

• Like 1

Anyone else planned to split with a NY firm but struck out with Toronto OCIs? I'm a little frustrated, but I don't know if I struck out because they're hesitant on splits in this economy or if they just didn't like me lol

Turtles
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, helloall said:

Anyone else planned to split with a NY firm but struck out with Toronto OCIs? I'm a little frustrated, but I don't know if I struck out because they're hesitant on splits in this economy or if they just didn't like me lol

Did you bring up splitting with each firm during the OCI?

mistertubby
  • Law Student

I did last year, trust me its for the best

12 minutes ago, Turtles said:

Did you bring up splitting with each firm during the OCI?

Yes, I e-mailed each firm before submitting my application to ask if they're open to splits, mentioned it again in my cover letter, and talked about it during the OCI interview. 

2 minutes ago, mistertubby said:

I did last year, trust me its for the best

Thanks, I hope so lol

Squirtle
  • Law Student

They're just hesitant on splits. Most of the firms I spoke to gave me a hard no on splits but I still got in firms with them.

12 minutes ago, newbie99 said:

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but what do you mean by "splits" ?

Split summer between two firms, usually a NY and a Toronto firm. 

Cedar Atlas
  • Law Student

Did anyone get a double ITC from Osler? Wondering if this is normal or if this means I need to respond.

Edited by Cedar Atlas

ruthlessfox
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, helloall said:

As far as I know based on (admittedly anecdotal and word-of-mouth) experience is only a handful of Toronto firms are willing to accept splits. The vast majority of students who split end up going to New York, so many firms likely view it as a raw deal for them. Splits are way more likely to occur if a candidate has already summered with the firm during their 1L summer, and are looking to try NY during their 2L summer. 

Squirtle
  • Law Student
40 minutes ago, Cedar Atlas said:

Did anyone get a double ITC from Osler? Wondering if this is normal or if this means I need to respond.

The most recent one is an official ITC emails with details. If you have already responded, you're good.

xdarkwhite
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, ruthlessfox said:

As far as I know based on (admittedly anecdotal and word-of-mouth) experience is only a handful of Toronto firms are willing to accept splits. The vast majority of students who split end up going to New York, so many firms likely view it as a raw deal for them. Splits are way more likely to occur if a candidate has already summered with the firm during their 1L summer, and are looking to try NY during their 2L summer. 

Keep in mind that folks looking to split are not being hired from the general recruiting pool. Firms generally only hire one split per summer class (other than at Blakes, which I understand pulls most of their splits from their 1L summer class). Not only are you competing with other folks who have already secured NY jobs (i.e., pretty impressive on paper and in interviews), you're also competing for one position. 

And you're right that a lot of the people who split end up in NY, but a significant amount of them choose to stay in Toronto—number isn't as vast as you might think.

christinaA
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, random said:

Anyone heard from Baker McKenzie?

I know some people received ITCs from them on Friday. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Cedar Atlas
  • Law Student

We are done! I hope everyone is resting and enjoying the remaining days of reading week. No matter the result, what we just did was a LOT and I'm proud of you.

• Hugs 3