2022 OCI: Uoft Edition

Squirtle

Squirtle
  • Law Student

Thread for 2022 OCIs.

Has anyone heard anything yet? Seems like other schools earlier in the OCI pipeline are starting to hear back.

Pecan Boy
  • Articling Student

When are OCIs this year? Last year, we got ITCs in the Sept. 15th range and our OCIs were Oct. 7-8th. But bear in mind that not many firms do ITCs

Squirtle
  • Law Student

It’s Oct 21-22 this year. Curious as students from other schools are starting to hear back.

3 hours ago, Pecan Boy said:

When are OCIs this year? Last year, we got ITCs in the Sept. 15th range and our OCIs were Oct. 7-8th. But bear in mind that not many firms do ITCs

Pecan Boy
  • Articling Student

Yeah, people hear back depending on when their school’s OCIs are. Since UofT’s are so late this year, I wouldn’t expect any ITCs until end of September at the earliest. But its admittedly hard to predict 

Edit: Just read the comment above re: the CDO. Ignore me in that case

Edited by Pecan Boy

Just based on this, spreading the OCI process over a span of a month and a half honestly fucks over UofT students, no? I really wish we could just scrap the LSO rules. The NY recruit where you can go through the pre-OCI process as early as May, have like like a month and a half of different interview dates to choose from, not have to deal with dumb rules about first-choice language or whatever other bullshit, make your decision within a month, and still be able to go through OCIs (in which firms basically condense their schedule to two weeks for all schools) was a blessing.

• Like 2

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, helloall said:

Just based on this, spreading the OCI process over a span of a month and a half honestly fucks over UofT students, no? I really wish we could just scrap the LSO rules. The NY recruit where you can go through the pre-OCI process as early as May, have like like a month and a half of different interview dates to choose from, not have to deal with dumb rules about first-choice language or whatever other bullshit, make your decision within a month, and still be able to go through OCIs (in which firms basically condense their schedule to two weeks for all schools) was a blessing.

U of T students aren't "fucked over" by the OCI process being spread out over time. And you either know this or should know this, because your last comment on this forum before this one was about how U of T "has an advantage" over other schools in the formal recruit. 

Don't be a poor sport before the recruit even begins just because you have to wait slightly longer than peers at schools you think are disadvantaged compared to you. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1

Squirtle
  • Law Student

Have to agree with BQ... numbers don't lie, every year Uoft has outperformed every LS in all recruits. No real disadvantage with Uoft being later in the OCI process, just a little more wait to hear back for impatient folks like myself.

14 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

U of T students aren't "fucked over" by the OCI process being spread out over time. And you either know this or should know this, because your last comment on this forum before this one was about how U of T "has an advantage" over other schools in the formal recruit.

That doesn't contradict my statement. Osgoode and UofT students make up a significant portion of OCI hires. Those numbers might be higher if the OCI process wasn't so rigid and the schools were interviewed earlier. The numbers might be even higher if pre-OCI was allowed.

Edited by helloall

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Your time would be better spent doing literally anything in the world other than hunting for excuses about why you might not get a job months before you find out whether you get a job. 

10 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Your time would be better spent doing literally anything in the world other than hunting for excuses about why you might not get a job months before you find out whether you get a job. 

I already accepted an offer from a V10 and I had a 1L job.

• Like 1

Ben
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, helloall said:

The NY recruit where you can go through the pre-OCI process as early as May, have like like a month and a half of different interview dates to choose from, not have to deal with dumb rules about first-choice language or whatever other bullshit, make your decision within a month, and still be able to go through OCIs (in which firms basically condense their schedule to two weeks for all schools) was a blessing.

The other part of this debate aside, amen. The Toronto recruit sucks. 

• Like 1

Squirtle
  • Law Student
20 hours ago, Ben said:

The other part of this debate aside, amen. The Toronto recruit sucks. 

Facts - NY recruit seems to be more flexible and doesn't have as rigid guidelines but I feel a caveat with that is the grey area ("slimy") stuff that also goes on. I got an offer from a V10 firm and the firm has given me a very generous time period to make a decision. 

notnotadog
  • Lawyer

NYC recruit really has it right. I was shocked at how transparent the firms were throughout the whole process. The ubiquity of lateraling down there makes a big difference, I think.