How’s your articling going

Ahhhh

coolsweetgirl_4u
  • Articling Student
On 11/10/2022 at 3:17 PM, OntheVerge said:

That's terrible! Mistakes happen (if you can consider researching the wrong thing a "mistake" per se). Articling is supposed to be an environment where you learn from mistakes under the supervision of your principal, not where the expectation is that you *never* make a mistake. And certainly not where you get threatened to have your articling position terminated if you mess up. Hopefully the lawyer was having a bad day - not that a bad day excuses acting like that - and apologized profusely at the meeting.

I would start taking notes - what the lawyer tells you, work that is assigned, the lawyer's reactions to "mistakes" and any threats going forward. I had a poor articling experience myself and this was something I did to 1) could refer to notes to lawyer when they said I did something wrong or they told me something else than what they had said, and 2) if I had to get the LSO involved, I had a record. Though honestly, if it escalates to the point that you need to take notes, it might be time to consider looking for articling elsewhere, if possible. 

Nearly every day occurrence. I got terminated yesterday; they took away my login; no notice. I asked for reasons and I was told that they never wanted articling student