Deferral Policy - Ontario Schools

Darthvader

Darthvader
  • Applicant

How hard is it to get a deferral? - Will financial reasons qualify for schools like Osgoode/Western. 

Ben
  • Law Student

Just email the Dean or the admissions committee or whoever at your school and ask. They’ll be happy to help. I did this a couple years ago and deferred my acceptance for a year. 

Darthvader
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, luckycharm said:

Only OZ and Western can answer that question.

Edited by Darthvader

Darthvader
  • Applicant
2 hours ago, Darthvader said:

How hard is it to get a deferral? - Will financial reasons qualify for schools like Osgoode/Western. 

If anyone could share their experience (what reason, did you give that got accepted) that would be great. 

Got a lot of time on my hands these days due to Covid so I have time to prepare my application for the next cycle. But I can only join the next to next cycle because I gotta save, however I won’t have much time to spend next year on getting the application ready due to some previous commitments. Would applying now and getting a deferral be a good idea? - will schools consider finances as an adequate reason? Moreover if I don’t get a deferral and then don’t take the admission - would that hurt my chances when I reapply?

luckycharm
2 minutes ago, Darthvader said:

If anyone could share their experience (what reason, did you give that got accepted) that would be great. 

Got a lot of time on my hands these days due to Covid so I have time to prepare my application for the next cycle. But I can only join the next to next cycle because I gotta save, however I won’t have much time to spend next year on getting the application ready due to some previous commitments. Would applying now and getting a deferral be a good idea? - will schools consider finances as an adequate reason? Moreover if I don’t get a deferral and then don’t take the admission - would that hurt my chances when I reapply?

Email the Dean first. You have one firm offer by now. I THINK school will consider more on whether your stats are strong enough to grant you a deferral than whatever reasons you have. I really don't see why you want to re-apply unless you want to attend another school. There are certain conditions with attached with "deferral'. Check those out before you ask for a deferral

krazykanuck
  • Lawyer

I deferred my admission to western for a year because I just accepted a new job a couple weeks before I was accepted. Just emailed the dean of admissions, and I think I also gave her a call a couple days later. 

• Like 1

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

Financial reasons are generally not an accepted reason to defer, to the best of my knowledge. 

Edited by QueensDenning

Lawllapalooza
  • Lawyer
On 7/1/2021 at 11:07 AM, Darthvader said:

Judging by others' responses I think I'm understanding this differently (perhaps incorrectly) than they are. To confirm, you have not yet applied, you want to attend law school two cycles from now, and since you have time now you're contemplating applying a year early then trying to defer? I strongly recommend against this. If you're looking to productively use your free time and want to prepare some personal statements that you can quickly edit the following year then do that. Update your resume, too. That's the bulk of your application besides uploading transcripts and seeking reference letters. Oh, and the LSAT, but if you haven't written that yet and intend to attend school in the next 5 years then you can do so any time and it won't matter.

• Like 3

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
33 minutes ago, Lawllapalooza said:

Judging by others' responses I think I'm understanding this differently (perhaps incorrectly) than they are. To confirm, you have not yet applied, you want to attend law school two cycles from now, and since you have time now you're contemplating applying a year early then trying to defer? I strongly recommend against this. If you're looking to productively use your free time and want to prepare some personal statements that you can quickly edit the following year then do that. Update your resume, too. That's the bulk of your application besides uploading transcripts and seeking reference letters. Oh, and the LSAT, but if you haven't written that yet and intend to attend school in the next 5 years then you can do so any time and it won't matter.

This is true. It would be illogical to apply during a year that you wouldn't accept regardless. Just a waist of money.

Edit: applications don't really take up that much time, aside from the LSAT portion of it. There is no way you're going to be "too busy" to apply, no matter what job/whatever you have going on. I maybe spent a total of 20 hours or so on my applications, and I did just fine.

Edited by QueensDenning
  • Like 1