Housing in Toronto (Summer)

Cinnamongal

Cinnamongal
  • Law Student

Hi there!

I will be working as a summer law student in Toronto this summer (2023) and was wondering if anyone has advice on finding a sublet lease near/within the city, from May to August. 

Also, does anyone have advice on the best or safe locations to be in Toronto? 

Any insight is greatly appreciated! 

cities1000
  • Law Student

Is price a consideration? If it is, I would recommend living somewhere more north (North York) or east or west (High Park/East York) along Line 1 or Line 2. The commute on the subway into downtown won't be long (~20ish minutes) but you will save considerable amounts on rent. 

If price is not a consideration, the Annex is a nice (and relatively safe) student area where a lot of students will be looking to sublet rooms for the summer. You might be able to find a good deal, but in my experience the units in this area are rather expensive. Overall, as long as you're close to the Line 1 or 2 subway lines, downtown, or along King Street (if you're working on Bay Street), you will find housing in safe areas within a commutable distance to your office. 

The entertainment district is relatively safe, and you'd be within walking distance. The Annex is nice, too, as is maybe St. Lawrence market area/Distillery. That being said you likely won't be able to find a one bedroom unit for less than $2700 a month in those areas.