Ottawa 2L Recruit: Round 2 In-firms + Call Day

newbie99

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student

Does anyonw know if Gowling sends out all 2nd in-firm invitation notices all at once? I know they are still interviewing candidates tomorrow, but worried that all candidates who interviewed today already got invitations...

bubbles
  • Law Student

I interviewed with Gowling today and also received the third round + reception/breakfast invite via email around 8:30 pm. 

sabbp
  • Law Student

For those of us who interviewed with Gowling today and didn’t get an invitation, is it safe to assume we won’t get a third round? 

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student

Can confirm that Conway Baxter Wilson has started sending out invites for second in-firms.

birddog
  • Law Student

Haven't heard anything from Conlin Bedard or Labarge Weinstein since doing in-firms with them earlier this week.  They don't do second-round interviews (or at least didn't mention anything about that) but I'm wondering if it's a bad sign to not get any sort of follow up before call day next friday.  Anyone have any insight on this?  Should I be worried?

torontoad
  • Law Student
10 minutes ago, birddog said:

Haven't heard anything from Conlin Bedard or Labarge Weinstein since doing in-firms with them earlier this week.  They don't do second-round interviews (or at least didn't mention anything about that) but I'm wondering if it's a bad sign to not get any sort of follow up before call day next friday.  Anyone have any insight on this?  Should I be worried?

I can speak to LaBarge. Don't worry, they don't do any sort of follow up. Attend the virtual meet and greet if you can, and then if you feel strongly about them, you can send them first choice language. 

• Like 1

fraudulentlyblonde
  • Law Student

Has anyone heard back from Dentons after their in-firm aside from the invite to the reception?

torontoad
  • Law Student
9 hours ago, fraudulentlyblonde said:

Has anyone heard back from Dentons after their in-firm aside from the invite to the reception?

No. I emailed them to ask what's going on, and they said they'll invite some candidates to lunch or coffee chats, but weren't clear about whether this happens before or after the reception. I'm pretty sure we all get invited to the reception.

Turtles
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, alibp said:

If a firm asks if you have any questions to better evaluate your options, does that mean they will make you an offer? 

I've had firms say that and gotten offers, and firms who said that who didn't give me an offer. But, in the context of the conversation before and after they had each asked that, it was usually clear they were hoping for me to reply something like "no, I think I've heard enough to cement X firm as my top choice" or at least to ask a Q / make a request to talk to someone after which I would then be expected to say magic words (or implicitly not say them and then get marked as such). 

• Like 1

LkEaSoMbOdY
  • Law Student
On 2/22/2023 at 7:25 AM, torontoad said:

Has anybody heard from Dentons since the reception yesterday? 

I believe that was the last step in the process, unless you've had coffee chats set up for today, the student committee will send their recommendations to the partnership group today to make their deliberations.

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student

Do offers typically go out within the first 10 minutes? I haven't heard anything.

Edit: Damn! I struck out.

Edited by capitalttruth
  • Sad 4
  • Hugs 2

Mr_Boogie
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, capitalttruth said:

Do offers typically go out within the first 10 minutes? I haven't heard anything.

Edit: Damn! I struck out.

I saw that you had also interviewed with Gowling. Did Gowling contact you this morning with a rejection? I am still waiting to hear back but have not been able to get through to anyone so I am super curious.

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student
2 minutes ago, Mr_Boogie said:

I saw that you had also interviewed with Gowling. Did Gowling contact you this morning with a rejection? I am still waiting to hear back but have not been able to get through to anyone so I am super curious.

I e-mailed the recruiter and they told me all of their offers have been extended and accepted.

MiceInRice
  • Articling Student

It's possible that a student may be holding their offer this morning so I'd keep your phone on all day. My friend got an offer in the afternoon last year. However, in all likelihood most offers are given and accepted in the first 10 minutes.

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student
12 minutes ago, MiceInRice said:

It's possible that a student may be holding their offer this morning so I'd keep your phone on all day. My friend got an offer in the afternoon last year. However, in all likelihood most offers are given and accepted in the first 10 minutes.

Ya, I knew that I was fucked when my phone didn't ring in the first 10 minutes.