Chances - TRU

lkroe60222

lkroe60222
  • Applicant

My EC's I would say are nothing crazy. Worked as an Ironworker (2nd yr apprentice), worked as an addiction support worker at Alpha House. I volunteered recently as a witness for the Western Canada Macintyre Moot Cup Competition. 

I applied access because I am low-income among having disabilities, which presented various obstacles and learning curves to overcome. So yeah, the atypically extracurriculars were not realistic to do when I have had to work to make ends meet. Also, did a Moot court in my undergrad for a case where we presented it to a Court of Appeals Judge. Compared to being a witness for the moot, which was not included in the application because I did it a week ago, there has been nothing stellar I would say.

I am not a mature applicant, I would not think. I am in the average range of many first-year law students. 

kollykibbler
  • Applicant
1 minute ago, lkroe762 said:

My EC's I would say are nothing crazy. Worked as an Ironworker (2nd yr apprentice), worked as an addiction support worker at Alpha House. I volunteered recently as a witness for the Western Canada Macintyre Moot Cup Competition. 

I applied access because I am low-income among having disabilities, which presented various obstacles and learning curves to overcome. So yeah, the atypically extracurriculars were not realistic to do when I have had to work to make ends meet. Also, did a Moot court in my undergrad for a case where we presented it to a Court of Appeals Judge. Compared to being a witness for the moot, which was not included in the application because I did it a week ago, there has been nothing stellar I would say.

I am not a mature applicant, I would not think. I am in the average range of many first-year law students. 

These sound like very interesting ECs to me. (Anecdotally, I knew a guy who went to SAIT for welding and ended up top of his class at UofA law. Let's go trades!) If you were able to touch on how these experiences have made you want to go to law school in your personal statement, I think you have a really good chance. That's just my two cents.

lkroe60222
  • Applicant
7 minutes ago, kollykibbler said:

These sound like very interesting ECs to me. (Anecdotally, I knew a guy who went to SAIT for welding and ended up top of his class at UofA law. Let's go trades!) If you were able to touch on how these experiences have made you want to go to law school in your personal statement, I think you have a really good chance. That's just my two cents.

I did do that. I tied my adversities and determination, which are necessary attributes in the field of law, and that these experiences have prepared me for the rigors of law and law school.

kollykibbler
  • Applicant
12 minutes ago, lkroe60222 said:

I did do that. I tied my adversities and determination, which are necessary attributes in the field of law, and that these experiences have prepared me for the rigors of law and law school.

Then I think you've done everything you can as far as this cycle goes. I think you'll get in, but as noted, access applications can be more difficult to chance. Best of luck either way.

• Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
27 minutes ago, kollykibbler said:

(Anecdotally, I knew a guy who went to SAIT for welding and ended up top of his class at UofA law. Let's go trades!) 

Gold medalist of my class at UBC law was a tradesperson as well.

• Like 3

lkroe60222
  • Applicant
19 minutes ago, kollykibbler said:

Then I think you've done everything you can as far as this cycle goes. I think you'll get in, but as noted, access applications can be more difficult to chance. Best of luck either way.

Yeah, that is true. I wish it would have allowed me to do both access and general. Lower that risk ratio.

• 1 month later...
Lawapplicant101
  • Applicant

Could anyone let me know what my chances are?

My LSAT score is the weakest part of my application I got a 152 and my assigned letter grade from TRU is a A-. My grades definitely show a significant improvement throughout my undergrad and I had pretty good ECs as well. Volunteered, worked, president of a club at UBC etc…

Feeling extremely hopeless right now…

chameli B
  • Law Student

@Lawapplicant101 In all honesty, I do not think you will get in this round. You have a lot going for your application, but your LSAT is most likely too low when paired with your GPA. If you look at acceptances on this forum, almost all A- average acceptances had a 160 plus on the LSAT. The people who got in with 155 or below had either A or A+ averages. However, never say never. At the end of the day, your grades are fine. If you do not get in this round, you just need to focus on getting a 160 plus LSAT score. I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but not getting in this year does not mean you will never get in.

Edited by chameli B