Students with an Ontario paralegal licence who are also in law school - Question about Licensing

ccounsel2024

ccounsel2024
  • Law Student

Hi, 

I'm currently a licensed paralegal and a second year law student, starting a 2L job in May. 

I am currently of the status "Not Providing Legal Services," paying 25% of the licensing fee. LSO told me if I work a summer job as a law student giving legal advice or services, then I would need to change my status to "Practicing Law" and have to update insurance info, etc. I don't think I'd be doing this as a summer student...right?

The other option is to surrender my licence but it would take approximately 45 business days. My firm wants me to fill out a Commissioner of Oaths application which takes approx 6-8 weeks to process (which I already am one by virtue of being a licensed paralegal), but if I decide to surrender it then I would need to fill out this application saying I'm not a commissioner (which I wouldn't be by the time I start the job depending on how fast they process the application but I currently am one). Do you think this is the route I should take? Is this how those of you with a P1 licence while in law school did this? I don't really want to pay the full fee as a student.