What to do if not all decisions have come in before April deadline

lawyerpk

lawyerpk
  • Applicant

Hi all! 

I got an acceptance to Windsor (yay!) and it's my first acceptance yet. I know I could hear back from the rest of the schools by as late as May, but the 'expiry date' for the Windsor acceptance is April 5. 

What happens if the other schools do not send me any decisions before then?

If I were to accept Windsor's offer and then get an offer from another school later, would I be able to accept the other school if I wanted to? 

Any insight is appreciated! 🙂 

onlyonemorelette
  • Applicant

I remember feeling conflicted when choosing between my top two options, and I requested an extension from one of the schools to give me a few additional weeks to decide. They granted it. While I'm uncertain if this approach is always successful, it wouldn't hurt to give it a try if you feel some extra time may help. 

Perhaps someone else could provide insight into the matter of accepting an offer and subsequently withdrawing. 

Edited by onlyonemorelette
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, lawyerpk said:

Hi all! 

I got an acceptance to Windsor (yay!) and it's my first acceptance yet. I know I could hear back from the rest of the schools by as late as May, but the 'expiry date' for the Windsor acceptance is April 5. 

If I were to accept Windsor's offer and then get an offer from another school later, would I be able to accept the other school if I wanted to? 

Can't you provisionally accept on OLSAS? That keeps you in the running at other Ontario schools while maintaining your Windsor offer. 

And if we are talking about non-Ontario schools, you're accepting Windsor won't make a difference. 

Legalbeaver
  • Applicant
10 hours ago, lawyerpk said:

Hi all! 

I was accepted into an American law school last year. I accepted the offer and even paid the deposit but 1 day after I paid (at the deadline) I found out that I wasn't able to get a loan from the private student lender that I was relying on. So I contacted the school and they were nice enough to give me my money back. Not sure if this would be the case at other schools but my point is that a simple email can go a long way. 

scooter
  • Law Student

Provisionally accept Windsor before the deadline, and indicate that you still want to be considered by the other schools.

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/olsas-offers/

Accepting an Offer of Admission

Only 1 offer of admission may be accepted at a time.

Note: When you provide a firm acceptance, your other choices will be marked as “No Further Consideration” and you will be removed from all wait lists.

Your changes will not be submitted until you complete the “Review and Submit” process.

Provisional Acceptances

If you provide a provisional acceptance, you must indicate which other choices you wish to remain active.

If you do not indicate that you wish to be considered for a specific choice, it will be marked as “No Further Consideration”.

Provisional acceptances to first-year programs will automatically become firm on July 1, 2023.