Canadian Lawyers Going to the US?

ltmaverick25

ltmaverick25
  • Law Student

I've read in several threads about a so called "explosion" of hiring in New York / California a few years ago with many Canadian lawyers choosing to work there instead. I'm just curious how that works. How does immigration play into this? Are they getting sponsored for a green card, are they becoming citizens to do this? Or is it some kind of visa that allows them to work in the US? Are these temporary positions, or are they contracts that only last a few years? And what about writing the bar without an American law degree?

AHappyLawyer
  • Lawyer

TN Visa - there's a category for lawyers. It's renewable for 3-years and you can keep renewing it. After a while, some firms sponsor you for more permanent H1-B visas.

You have a year to write and pass the Bar upon getting here typically.

• Like 1

todoman
  • Lawyer

I am sure the demand has dropped since the "explosion" in 21/22 but what is the market like now for Canadian lawyers in US? Is it still defined by corporate associates going to NYC/SF?

Grey
  • Lawyer

I did this at the end of 2021. As another posted mentioned, folks typically go down on a TN visa (3 year term you can renew indefinitely) and then later on move to H1B if you want to stay permanently (as H1B permits you to apply for a green card, whereas a TN does not). The US jobs are regular "permanent" positions - i.e., not contract or temporary, but "permanent" in the sense that you're obviously at risk of being laid off etc. I know of a couple Canadian associates that recently lateraled to Shearman in NY, which might not end well for them. 

Canadian JDs are only eligible to write the bar in CA, NY, and MA, so you're limited to one of those states initially. But once you pass one of those bars, you're eligible to sit for any other state's bar. Hiring is mostly NY or CA based, but not exclusively (I'm in Boston). 

C_Terror
  • Lawyer
11 hours ago, todoman said:

I am sure the demand has dropped since the "explosion" in 21/22 but what is the market like now for Canadian lawyers in US? Is it still defined by corporate associates going to NYC/SF?

For what it's worth it seems like it's going back to pre-pandemic levels of hiring where only mid to senior corporate associates of very specific targeted firms are lateraling to the US.