Biglaw Articling Hours

boyo

57 minutes ago, KOMODO said:

Perhaps, although if you're already a student in a law firm, then you probably already have a good sense of it, as this discussion has been about expectations for students. If you're interviewing/deciding where to work, then it may be best to ask a student rather than an associate, though you always want to be careful about how to frame your question so that you don't come across as unwilling to work hard as someone starting out.

In terms of being more confused than ever, that's a shame and I'm sorry that it feels that way. I feel like some of the comments yesterday crossed a line for me. I've been participating in this board and its predecessors for more than 10 years, and I see my time as a sort of public service which I hope helps people who are just starting to move through this field. In the past I always felt like my perspective was appreciated even when it was different from others, but over the last few months I've noticed a tone shift in a few of the longer substantive threads, and it just feels really unpleasant. There's nothing wrong with people having differing points of view, but a post accusing me of having a lack of good faith when I've taken a lot of time out of my day to explain my thoughts is really jarring. I've reread the last few posts a number of times now and still feel that I was responding fairly to the comments that were made, and the post lashing out at me for that was uncalled for. It's not like I gain something from being here, it's meant as a way to give newer members of the bar a genuine perspective they may not otherwise get. But perhaps I've outgrown this community and it's time to move on.

I'll say I appreciate your perspective and think you're a very valuable poster. Even if I might differ slightly in the hours I expect students to work, I think you set out a fair case for big law students to work hard during articles. Students should hear that perspective. And hopefully, you don't move on.

Edited by realpseudonym
  • Like 5

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

@KOMODO I similarly value your contributions here, even when I disagree with you.

I apologize for making you feel as though you may not belong in this community anymore. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 2

GGrievous
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, KOMODO said:

Perhaps, although if you're already a student in a law firm, then you probably already have a good sense of it, as this discussion has been about expectations for students. If you're interviewing/deciding where to work, then it may be best to ask a student rather than an associate, though you always want to be careful about how to frame your question so that you don't come across as unwilling to work hard as someone starting out.

In terms of being more confused than ever, that's a shame and I'm sorry that it feels that way. I feel like some of the comments yesterday crossed a line for me. I've been participating in this board and its predecessors for more than 10 years, and I see my time as a sort of public service which I hope helps people who are just starting to move through this field. In the past I always felt like my perspective was appreciated even when it was different from others, but over the last few months I've noticed a tone shift in a few of the longer substantive threads, and it just feels really unpleasant. There's nothing wrong with people having differing points of view, but a post accusing me of having a lack of good faith when I've taken a lot of time out of my day to explain my thoughts is really jarring. I've reread the last few posts a number of times now and still feel that I was responding fairly to the comments that were made, and the post lashing out at me for that was uncalled for. It's not like I gain something from being here, it's meant as a way to give newer members of the bar a genuine perspective they may not otherwise get. But perhaps I've outgrown this community and it's time to move on.

Nah you’re one of my favourite posters on here. I didn’t mean to imply the confusion was sourced entirely from you. I do think good discussion got lost in trying to win the argument here. Again, not just from you.