On-Campus Housing

swooshy

swooshy
  • Applicant

Hey everyone. I’ve looked into some on-campus housing options and there seems to be really limited info and as I see more student’s posting about finding roommates I wanted to ask some questions for anyone who may be able to answer. I’m from BC so I’m not quite familiar with the area or rental market. My preference would be to live on campus as I have no familiarity with the area and don’t want to take a trip out to check out off-campus rentals. 

1. How difficult is it to get on-campus housing for end of August/early September? When should we look to apply? Is there much room for law students or is it mostly for undergrads?

2. For those who have experienced it, what was your experience living on campus?

3. What is the rental market surrounding the university like?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Kobe
  • Law Student

1. There's a date you'll need to look into. You basically need to be on your computer right away. I know someone who got housing from this, it can be worth it as the pricing is good. Also, there is basically no housing for grad/law students on campus it is basically all west campus, which is further than many of the private off-campus options. 

2. I have not experienced it but I know people living in the Queen's housing. They like it. It is cheaper than the regular market but it is kind of in the middle of nowhere. So trade-offs there. 

3. It can be pretty competitive. I would start looking now. The people I know from BC all opted for off-campus fully furnished places as this made the move easier. 

In short, basically, everyone lives off campus. The university housing that law students can access is mostly pretty far from the campus (20 minute walk) and is limited. It may be worth saving the money as I know it can be quite substantial savings. 

Also, the campus is surrounded by housing that is not provided by the university. I would recommend looking at a google street view to get a feel for the area. Most of your time will be spent in the law school studying and anything social would likely be on Pricness downtown. I'd attempt to get something that is a manageable walk downtown and to the law school. I'll also note some clinic stuff is downtown as well. 

• Like 1

swooshy
  • Applicant
2 hours ago, Kobe said:

1. There's a date you'll need to look into. You basically need to be on your computer right away. I know someone who got housing from this, it can be worth it as the pricing is good. Also, there is basically no housing for grad/law students on campus it is basically all west campus, which is further than many of the private off-campus options. 

2. I have not experienced it but I know people living in the Queen's housing. They like it. It is cheaper than the regular market but it is kind of in the middle of nowhere. So trade-offs there. 

3. It can be pretty competitive. I would start looking now. The people I know from BC all opted for off-campus fully furnished places as this made the move easier. 

In short, basically, everyone lives off campus. The university housing that law students can access is mostly pretty far from the campus (20 minute walk) and is limited. It may be worth saving the money as I know it can be quite substantial savings. 

Also, the campus is surrounded by housing that is not provided by the university. I would recommend looking at a google street view to get a feel for the area. Most of your time will be spent in the law school studying and anything social would likely be on Pricness downtown. I'd attempt to get something that is a manageable walk downtown and to the law school. I'll also note some clinic stuff is downtown as well. 

Thank you so much! This really helps!

• Like 1