Bond University (AUSTRALIA) or Leicester University (UK)

Jas24

GGrievous
  • Law Student
4 minutes ago, Jas24 said:

Ahah yeah bro I am aware of that but that being said, I won't be starting school till next September 2022 and that is if I get accepted. 

Are you older? A year is not a huge deal in the grand scheme of a 30+ year career. Bond University will always be there next year if you don't get it, but you're so close to a 160+. I'm not gonna let you do this, i'm sorry, it's just not an option for you. 

what's the deadline to apply abroad btw? and wouldn't you start at the same time?

Edited by Barry

Jas24
  • Applicant
1 minute ago, Barry said:

Are you older? A year is not a huge deal in the grand scheme of a 30+ year career. Bond University will always be there next year if you don't get it, but you're so close to a 160+. I'm not gonna let you do this, i'm sorry, it's just not an option for you. 

ahah appreciate the motivation, yes I have started studying again but you know stigmatized by the rejections two years in a row, like I mentioned before I have seen students with general applications get accepted that have lower score than me. I am 25 year old, been applying since 22 ish. 

MapleLeafs
  • Law Student

I don't think your stats are the problem. At the minimum, you should have gotten into a Canadian school, such as TRU. Spend some time on your application materials and getting your LSAT score higher, you will likely get in next year. Also, consider LSAT prep companies. I used HarvardReady and I don't think I would be in law school right now without it 

Edited by MapleLeafs
  • Thanks 1

GGrievous
  • Law Student
1 minute ago, Jas24 said:

ahah appreciate the motivation, yes I have started studying again but you know stigmatized by the rejections two years in a row, like I mentioned before I have seen students with general applications get accepted that have lower score than me. I am 25 year old, been applying since 22 ish. 

I mean go ahead and apply anyway I guess, but definitely evaluate your LSAT study methods, maybe invest in a tutor, still waaay cheaper than going abroad, no? If you need some tips feel free to DM me. 

• Thanks 1

Diplock
  • Lawyer
6 hours ago, BondGuy said:

If you're already saddled with the stigma of being NCA I think the letters behind your name are the least of your worries. 

Now that's true, for sure. In context of the LLB vs. JD discussion, you're totally right that it's a difference without a distinction. I just chose to fixate on the throwaway line.

On 7/23/2021 at 11:57 AM, Jas24 said:

ahah appreciate the motivation, yes I have started studying again but you know stigmatized by the rejections two years in a row, 

Can you explain this to me? Do law schools track if you have applied before and count it against you?

On 7/23/2021 at 2:57 PM, Jas24 said:

hire a tutor.

3.5 GPA is good enough for a few schools in Canada. 

Edited by luckycharm

disgruntledpelican
  • Lawyer

I'd definitely try to stay in Canada at all costs. What's another year in a long career when the Bond and Leicester name, rightly or wrongly will carry stigma and make it that much harder to find that important first job and possibly limit your future opportunities too.

That said, my previous employers have had lawyers who went to Leicester and Bond. At work they were great colleagues and competent. No one would ever mention where they went to school or look down on them for it. But they had a couple years of experience to demonstrate their credibility before being hired - it's finding the first place or two that will give you a chance that could be the real limiting factor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PulpFiction
  • Lawyer
On 7/23/2021 at 2:57 PM, Jas24 said:

Don't give up, but at the same time, keep progressing in life. Law school doesn't have to be your sole focus, where each year's rejection makes it feel like a year wasted. You should never 'waste' a year of your life. Get a job while you prep for the LSAT and take your time with it. Go volunteer while studying. Your entire life should not be centred around law school applications, except maybe the one year immediately after undergrad, and even then, I'd suggest to anyone to keep busy with non-law related things. 

I started law school when I was older than you. I was debating going the foreign route to save myself the headache of the Canadian law school process - so glad I didn't. Most of those schools accept anyone with the ability to finance their education, and you're learning another country's laws while paying a premium, with additional hurdles waiting for you when you come back. It doesn't add up, especially when you're carrying a 3.5 GPA. 

Live your life and continue progressing while you apply to Canadian schools - that additional life experience and skills developed will only help you when you do eventually get into a Canadian school and start your legal career. 

Edited by PulpFiction
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jas24
  • Applicant
On 7/25/2021 at 2:51 AM, Hegdis said:

Can you explain this to me? Do law schools track if you have applied before and count it against you?

I am not sure if they count it against you, but they definitely see if you have applied before. 

• 3 weeks later...
LawyerBoy11
  • Lawyer

Unless you have a parent, aunt/uncle, sibling or friend that is a lawyer and will hire you; or you happen to desire a job at a desperate second rate firm where you will have a low paying stressful job - STAY AWAY from these foreign money grubbing law schools. Keep trying to get into a good Canadian law school or choose a different career path / occupation. If you think you might land a job in Surrey BC or Guelph ON or Yellowknife NWT and “work your way up the ladder”, you are fooling yourself. There are far better and more meaningful ways to earn a living. I am at a Vancouver firm and we get hundreds of applications. We are not alone in pitching out the foreign law school applications, with exception of top UK law schools - Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, LSE, Edinburgh. These universities do NOT cater to Canadians … and applications from their students are rare. 

• Like 1

LawyerBoy11
  • Lawyer
On 7/19/2021 at 2:28 PM, Jas24 said:

Lol yes I am. But I do have connections, as I am a licensed paralegal. 

Well you might get an articling position if the firm you work at as a paralegal believes you are indispensable. But you will always have that foreign “bought” degree hanging like an albatross around your neck. You seem competitive for a Canadian law school candidate. Don’t give up so quickly (as others have said).

• Like 1