What now? Not hired back after 2 summers and articling. Is there even a market for first year associates right now?

IDK123456

So if you guys are going to bicker in-thread, please don't also report each other's posts to the mods. Coming here and seeing everyone cheerfully engaging along identical lines to their mod reports is annoying. Either stay out of it, or leave us out of it.

Reminder to be excellent to each other.

• LOL 2
  • Nom! 1

Pecan Boy
  • Articling Student
3 hours ago, Sallyplants95 said:

Or does the truth— that Bay Street is a relative small market— difficult to swallow? 

does the truth difficult to swallow

• LOL 4

boyo
  • Law Student
On 5/9/2023 at 1:39 PM, CleanHands said:

The inflated sense that BigLaw articling students tend to have about how much value they add to the firm is always cute.

That may be more of a reflection on your firm and the people you work with than anything else.

• 5 months later...
IDK123456
  • Law Student

By way of an update, I'm still looking for a first year associate position. I ended up getting very very lucky and securing a contract position working in the AI space for now. From what I've seen so far, the market really hasn't bounced back at all and there seems to be no appetite for bringing on juniors. I've been following up with firms and trying to coffee chat as much as I can but it really seems like no one is looking to hire (big law or boutique). I've even started sending out applications to New York firms, but haven't had much success there either because I'm off cycle.

I just wanted to see if there are any lawyers out there with any insight into how the market is looking from an inside perspective. Has there been any uptick in work that would necessitate bringing on more first years? The response that I've gotten recently is that the firm just brought on their first year class so they are focusing on training those associates before they consider hiring more. But does it seem like that mentality might change in the New Year? I just hate the idea that it's going to take literally a full year or longer before I get back on track and into a law firm. 

In the mean time I've been looking for ways to fill my time, and I'm considering writing the NY bar. I was just wondering if that was even worth pursuing. My original intention was always to stay in the Toronto market, but I'm wondering if pursuing dual-licensing would appeal to firms. Realistically, the bar is a long way off July 2024 if not Feb 2025, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any insights. 

Overall the market is really shitty and so is my hope that I'm going to get past this, I know everyone says it's just a matter of time, but I just feel a little aimless. 

Oh well, sometimes you crank that soulja boy, sometimes that soulja boy cranks you. 😄 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

The market is still relatively softer than most would hope. Now is also a bad time to be looking into junior hiring since the firms just brought in their new first year class. Some may have a need but it won't be a market-wide thing like in 2021.

Part of the issue is that the junior ranks are fine, it's mid levels and senior associate ranks where firms would like to hire more talent. So bringing in more juniors is not high on a lot of people's wish lists.

Aschenbach
  • Lawyer

I was in a similar boat this past summer when I didn't get hired back. It can be a total grind and a blow to your self esteem and mental health, but keep at it. As I'm sure you've heard, focusing on boutiques/smaller firms would probably be your best option at this point and leverage your network through coffee chats, etc. Most won't lead anywhere but you should still do it in case one does.

As others have said, it's a bump in your career over 30+ years. You will be fine. 

Edited by Aschenbach

Batman75
  • Law Student

I'm not yet a lawyer, nor have I started my articling yet, but here's my analysis:

It seems like you're still fixated on your previous job, what you did there, and where you worked. It's like someone who has recently been dumped and is obsessively looking for a new partner who is just as good-looking or even better-looking than their ex. It appears to me that you haven't completely moved on.

I think the main takeaway point is that you're easily replaceable. Rashabon's latest post highlighted that junior lawyers aren't in high demand, and employers usually prefer candidates with more experience. As a result, it's safe to assume that you're not a "hot" candidate for BigLaw. Your previous area of practice, corporate transactions, isn't unique, like IP or tax, and you're still a junior.

So, what should you do now? It's time for you to move on and start a new chapter in your legal career. I think you need to be flexible and open to exploring different areas of law. You mentioned that you like corporate law, which means you prefer the transactional side over litigation. Why don't you apply to a number of real estate firms? Who knows, you might find that you like this field of law better. Have you considered government jobs as well? They have a lot of solicitor positions. I believe that your previous skills and strong work ethic, that is required to excel in Bay St., will definitely help you to succeed in these positions.

Instead of dwelling on your past and the bitterness that comes with it, consider this a great opportunity for you for a new beginning.