Waitlist Movement for Discretionary - Historical and Current

Phronesis888
  • Applicant

Hi everyone, just another angst-ridden speculation post.

I am on the waitlist for discretionary. I phoned and I am a very low number on the list (low as in good). Does anyone have any insight into whether people tend to get in off the waitlist for discretionary? I have seen posts from past cycles where people have gotten in, so I am trying to stay hopeful but without getting my hopes up, if that makes sense.

I have seen one person here post that they are declining, and another person posted that they will likely decline, but I was also informed that UBC tends to overenroll slightly to account for this, so it literally feels like I am waiting for the universe to flip a coin to decide my fate.

Congrats to the people who got in, and good luck to the people still waiting!

AeroVan26
  • Law School Admit

By any chance, did they tell you that you were on the waitlist, or did you have to call to find out?

Phronesis888
  • Applicant

My status changed in the portal. I didn't get an email until noon. I called once I saw the status change to inquire about my place on the list.

• Like 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student
On 5/15/2023 at 2:42 PM, Phronesis888 said:

Hi everyone, just another angst-ridden speculation post.

I am on the waitlist for discretionary. I phoned and I am a very low number on the list (low as in good). Does anyone have any insight into whether people tend to get in off the waitlist for discretionary? I have seen posts from past cycles where people have gotten in, so I am trying to stay hopeful but without getting my hopes up, if that makes sense.

I have seen one person here post that they are declining, and another person posted that they will likely decline, but I was also informed that UBC tends to overenroll slightly to account for this, so it literally feels like I am waiting for the universe to flip a coin to decide my fate.

Congrats to the people who got in, and good luck to the people still waiting!

How low a # on the D-list? A friend was number #3 last year and got an offer within a month.

Phronesis888
  • Applicant

#2. It's obviously a pretty good number, but I couldn't get much information from the person I talked to in admissions in terms of how much the waitlist moves (which is fair, but not helpful to my existential angst 😛 ).

I've reached out to some of the users of this forum that posted about being on the discretionary waitlist, and it has bolstered my hopes because it looks like a fair number of of last year's discretionary applicants got offers after being waitlisted. Of course, now my anxiety has become centered on the idea that last year was a huge outlier and that this year might be totally different.

Thanks for the feedback about your friend and their experience! I think I might have spoken to them through private messages earlier this week.

danytea
  • Applicant
3 hours ago, Phronesis888 said:

#2. It's obviously a pretty good number, but I couldn't get much information from the person I talked to in admissions in terms of how much the waitlist moves (which is fair, but not helpful to my existential angst 😛 ).

I've reached out to some of the users of this forum that posted about being on the discretionary waitlist, and it has bolstered my hopes because it looks like a fair number of of last year's discretionary applicants got offers after being waitlisted. Of course, now my anxiety has become centered on the idea that last year was a huge outlier and that this year might be totally different.

Thanks for the feedback about your friend and their experience! I think I might have spoken to them through private messages earlier this week.

I feel like i've seen at least 2 people said they would reject the offer, so I think you'll hear soon!

Patient0L
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, Phronesis888 said:

Thanks for the feedback about your friend and their experience! I think I might have spoken to them through private messages earlier this week

Haha you probably did. I think you’ll have an offer in a few weeks. 🍀