Is Queen's an "old boys club"?

Monophobia

Monophobia
  • Law Student

My relatives have been referring to the supposed reputation of Queen's as an "old boys club", insofar as the community is conducive to (or encourages) shmoozing between wealthy white men. I was recently offered admission to Queen's, and some of my relatives are pretty ancient, so I'm curious if this sentiment still tracks to any extent today? On a related note, are racial or gender minorities at a disadvantage when it comes to 'networking' or otherwise getting involved in the community? What has your experience been at Queen's?

epeeist
  • Lawyer

While I'm not ancient - defer to others this thread - it does bring up a different point. Many non-lawyer family and friends, helpful and well-informed as they may be otherwise, have totally wrong notions about the law, lawyers, law schools, etc. (e.g. it's a good idea to get a law degree even if you don't want to become a lawyer because of the options it gives you...🙄 ). For that matter a number of lawyers have wrong/outdated advice also, be skeptical.

I went to Queen’s. I am sure it’s come a long way in 20 years but even back then I would not have called it an old boy’s club. And I haven’t understood that to be its reputation, in that this thread is the first time I have heard it suggested. 

Monophobia
  • Law Student

Well I'm relieved to hear that it doesn't track onto real student experiences.

56 minutes ago, Hegdis said:

I went to Queen’s. I am sure it’s come a long way in 20 years but even back then I would not have called it an old boy’s club. And I haven’t understood that to be its reputation, in that this thread is the first time I have heard it suggested. 

While not explicitly referring to Queen's as an old boys club, I have heard similar disparaging comments from other students throughout my undergrad about a supposed white homogeneity at Queen's. 

11 hours ago, epeeist said:

be skeptical.

I think this is good advice. It's likely best that I enter Queen's with an open mind instead of paying attention to all the little rumors I hear amongst my peers and family. Still, I was curious, and thought it couldn't hurt to check in with the homies here. Could be helpful to dispel such rumors for others hearing the same thing. 

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

In my experience, Queens is overrepresented compared to other Ontario schools (except UofT) in the list of schools where wealthy white Toronto parents I know send their kids. 

Oh yeah it was a very white school.  Not a lot of diversity overall back then. If that’s what old boys means these days, then yeah I can see that being a reputation. 

• Like 1

Haven't experienced anything like this. Yes, there are alot of white students (50-60%?) but that is sort of reflective of Canada's demographics and I did not feel any "old boy" vibe sure there are well-off people but I feel like you can find that at any law program.