Best residence for a studio/single bedroom suite

2easy
  • Applicant

Which residence is the best to stay in, if I want to live alone in a studio/single bedroom suite with a kitchen?

• 2 weeks later...
GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student
On 6/11/2023 at 4:38 PM, 2easy said:

Which residence is the best to stay in, if I want to live alone in a studio/single bedroom suite with a kitchen?

If you are asking this question June 11, it is any residence you can get. 

If you have access to preferential housing (eg. indigenous, former youth in care, a disability that would be supported by having a short commute to the law school) you might still be able to get access to housing - but even then you need to reach out ASAP. 

If none of those apply to you and you completed a housing application after your acceptance and not when you applied to law school, the chances of you securing residence are slim to none. 

• Like 1

2easy
  • Applicant

Hey,

I am planning for the future, not for Fall 2023. Also, I am in one of those groups mentioned.

GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student

Every single unit that is a studio or one bedroom will have a kitchen. 

The closest to Allard is Brock Commons - Tallwood House. There is a new building opening up and I don’t know if it is also going to be called Brock Commons. Then you have Gage. And then a bunch of new ones like exchange + a group of four buildings that have different traditional indigenous names. I can’t remember what each of those is called. 

You are less likely to end up with a nano suite. Don’t even apply for that - you probably won’t get it. But apply for a studio/1-bed the day you apply to allard. Or apply now if you are already a UBC student. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Glaucon
  • Law School Admit

Gage Apartments for Winter Session and Iona for Year Round are the most comfortable. Both are very close to Allard, just a few minutes by foot. But res is a lottery. At the end of the day, it’s not in your control.