Rental Crisis in Halifax

chameli B

chameli B
  • Law Student

Hey all. I got into Dal last week. So I packed my bags and went to Halifax to find a place. I did some research before and knew it would be difficult to find a place. However, I feel it is legit impossible to find a place under 1800 for a not horrible (no bed bugs, rats, mice, abusive management) studio or 1 bed. Here are some of the major issues I have encountered since being in Halifax:

1. Most landlords just don't respond back, whether by phone, text, or email.

2. The Landlords ask for a fixed lease so they can increase the rent as much as they want (the government of Nova Scotia says that while they know landlords are doing this to bypass rent control, they will not do anything about it because regulation is "bad".

3. Lots of places do not include heating, which can add up to 200/month for a studio/one bedroom in the winter.

4. There are hardly any postings, and if so, they are for September.

5. I hate what this country is becoming

6. The city is actually really nice and the school looks amazing too.

7. Isn't there a site for Dal law students to talk about housing/roommates? If so, where is it?! lol.

8. I am open to roommates as well, but per the issue above, I have no idea where to start.

****Of Note: These are my experiences and please share if your experiences were the same or different!

Edited by chameli B
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 1

MontyBurns
  • Law School Admit

I was also shocked to see that most listings are for September. My plan was to look for September vacancies, with the assumption that looking so many months out would put me ahead of the curve. Instead it seems like we're already all in a crunch! The most infuriating part for me though is that the landlords/rental offices don't seem to respond to emails, applications, or voicemail. It's gotten to the point that I'm worried they're screening my phone number as I'm calling from an out of province area code.

Wish I had a more optimistic take for you but it seems that it's a rough go for everyone looking to rent right now.

• Like 1

same situation, 

my advice is to trawl facebook marketplace for a spot— that's how I made contact with my prospective roommate. 

best of luck! It's wild out there. 

• Like 1

JPTRB
  • Law Student

1. Landlords are being slammed with insane amounts of lease applications per available unit. Last year I was apartment hunting for my sister. I viewed an apartment in a building and the super told me how he had over 100 applications after the first day the apartment was advertised. They can't respond to them all. 

2. The fixed term lease crap is exactly as you describe. I wouldn't sign one if you can avoid it. Lots of horror stories online of people getting to the end of their fixed terms and having to re-sign at insanely higher rent prices or vacating the apartment. 

3. Lately, I've seen landlords charging for everything they can. Heat, Electric, parking, on site storage. I'm sure they would charge for oxygen if they could. 

4. The vacancy situation is crazy and has been for a while. <1% vacancy for a number of years at this point (I think). So I've been told, HRM recently had a study conducted. The study was to look at long term projections with regard to expected immigration and expected rental development. The study concluded that by the time every property that is currently being developed or awaiting approval comes to market, they will still be outpaced by the amount of people coming to HRM and the vacancy rate will stay <1%.

5. Yes

6. Yes and yes. I have loved living here for the past 7 years. The only thing I will say is that as nice as Halifax is, it isn't as nice as it should be for how expensive it is to live here. 

7. Not sure.

8. Roommates may be the way to go. I would also urge you to consider living off the peninsula. Dal tuition comes with a bus pass. It's not ideal, but you may find some relief from the rental crisis prices. Lower Sackville, Dartmouth, Timberlea. Decent places to check out. 

My experience: I've lived in Halifax for 7 years. I'm on a year-year lease that is currently 6 years old, hence my rent is great/affordable. If that were not the case and I had to find rent in the current housing situation, I would, without a doubt, choose a law school almost anywhere else. That, and Dalhousie Law tuition also ain't cheap. The reasons I'm staying are because my lease is affordable and my wife makes more here than she would in the other places I was accepted to school. Good rent plus her increased wage makes up the different with Dal tuition+living somewhere else where I'd likely pay more in rent.

I recently spoke with a PSLOC advisor in HRM from Scotiabank. He said they currently approve law students for $135K and lots of students are maxing it out to afford their 3 years of law school at Dal (65K in tuition+70K living expenses over 2 years 8 months). I think your 5th point is the best response here. 

On a positive note, my sister moved here a year ago and somehow landed a nice spot with decent rent. I don't know how, but it is possible. Best of luck. Shoot me a message if you have any questions. I'm not sure how helpful I'd be with the rental knowledge, but I know a lot about the city.

• Like 1

ls.ca
  • Law Student

I hear you. 

I lived on the north end of the peninsula for the first year, after struggling to find a place. It was doable, more affordable, and a quiet area. However, you really miss out on student networking by living so far from campus. The commute is was about ~25minutes by bus. I would not recommend that long-term, especially if you're looking to be involved in the night life of Halifax. 

This year, I found a great spot basically on campus. Paying ~1450/month on a new building at an absolute steal for the unit. The only way this was possible was by literally networking for 12 months, cultivating relationships with property managers, and then giving them a 4 month heads-up that I'd be looking for a place. 

Seeing as that option isn't really available for you, I'd recommend what others have and suggest you try FB marketplace. Be very aggressive with replying to messages/calls/emails. The market is so hot that failing to reply within 2hrs is a legitimate difference maker. Places that come up on Friday are SCOOPED by Sunday. Have ALL documents ready to go: Letter of employment, Income statements*, two pieces of ID in jpg. format, former landlord references, money available for a deposit that is ready to be sent within <12hrs, etc. If you find a place that's a 2/3bdrm, then take it and you can 1000% find another law/med/dent/grad student to room in the other one. If you find something starting in July/August, then take it and bite the bullet. September leases are COVETTED near campus. 

*Steady, Consistent Income is really all they care about. You are likely not getting any responses because you start off telling them you are a "student". PSLOC/Savings is meaningless to them, regardless of how much. Landlords/Rental companies will ONLY see that you are a "student", and won't care that it's in a professional degree with big PSLOC money. They want to see pay-stubs for a salary that can afford the whole unit you are applying to. Provide them with that info from whatever job you have. If you don't have a job, then immediately send them info saying your parents will be co-signing in your application, and have your parents income/paystubs/Letter of employment immediately prepared to be sent-off. 

It sucked to ask my parents to be a guarantor, and to send their LOE, paystubs, and salary in my late 20's. But as soon as I started doing that, ALL of the places I applied to got back to me in some capacity. Income is the filter they start with, because that's all they're in this business for. It didn't matter that I was leaving a solid employer at a solid salary, with good savings and a good PSLOC. The "current student" label seemed to be a killer before I could even explain.

Best of luck finding a place. If you are still having issues come August, feel free to PM here or try your incoming class FB group (invites should be sent out in July). Better to have something than living in a hotel/strangers couch for a month. 

**Edit: I wanted to add this as an example of how I reached out to places via email/messaging. Sometimes changing your approach is helpful too.  Not trying to suggest this is the only way of getting something. But I was shocked at the diff. that was made when I adopted this script. 

"Hi there, 

I am interested in the unit you have available at _____. My father (I lied about this) and I are looking for a place in Halifax for a possession date between July 1 - Sept 1. We are non-smokers, pet free, and are moving into the area while I attend Law School. My father works as a _____ at _____. I can give you LOE, Paystubs, and References, and any required deposit(s) as soon as you'd like. Please let me know of the next available opportunity to view the unit. We are amenable to a virtual viewing if preferred. 

We are excited to hear from you and to secure the unit as soon as possible. Please don't hesitate to text/call/email me anytime. My contact information is available below (included in the closing signature). 

Have a great week, 

_____"

Edited by ls.ca
Added script (see bottom)
  • Like 4

chameli B
  • Law Student

Hey all! Thank you for such detailed replies! I put an offer on a place. So let's see what happens. And yes... I had to get my dad to co-sign. I will keep you all updated and will move forward with some of your advice! 

• Like 1

halamom03
  • Law School Admit
14 hours ago, chameli B said:

Hey all! Thank you for such detailed replies! I put an offer on a place. So let's see what happens. And yes... I had to get my dad to co-sign. I will keep you all updated and will move forward with some of your advice! 

Thank you chameli B for starting this thread and sharing your experience, and to everyone else who shared theirs! I am also in the same situation and really stressed out with how the rental market is looking. I appreciate everyone's 'tips' and input and keeping my fingers crossed for all of us (especially those who are moving from out of NS like me). 

• Thanks 1

chameli B
  • Law Student

Update: the rental company texted me after I submitted almost 20 pages of required information. They had a letter from my bank explaining my line of credit and how I have access to more than enough money to cover rent. Then my dad, who is retired, sent in banking statements with substantial funds. I then get a text back from the property manager asking that the owner needs proof of income as he needs to see how we are able to afford the rent. I told them I sent all the documents that prove we have the funds. She says she saw all those documents and she will talk to the owner.Morning comes and still no answer, I text her back explaining if there is anything I can do to alleviate any concerns. She then says do you have all your baking info that proves you can pay rent. I told them I had sent that to you and that you had told me you received it. 3 hours later still no response from her. I called the hq of the management property and tried to use logic and reason to see if there was a miscommunication. The HQ says that is a bit odd and that they will get back to me. That was 6 hours ago. I am at a loss for words tbh. There is no way this experience can be normal can it? I just put it another application and the people seem nice so let’s hope for the best. I also had to increase my budget from 1500 to 1800… and even then that is tough. I am so happy to go to Schulich but this experience has made me wonder if this was the right choice.

Ps, I have the screenshots of the convo of course, I may post them. Or I may share them one day over drinks haha. 

Edited by chameli B
  • Sad 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Angry 2

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
21 minutes ago, chameli B said:

Update: the rental company texted me after I submitted almost 20 pages of required information. They had a letter from my bank explaining my line of credit and how I have access to more than enough money to cover rent. Then my dad, who is retired, sent in banking statements with substantial funds. I then get a text back from the property manager asking that the owner needs proof of income as he needs to see how we are able to afford the rent. I told them I sent all the documents that prove we have the funds. She says she saw all those documents and she will talk to the owner.Morning comes and still no answer, I text her back explaining if there is anything I can do to alleviate any concerns. She then says do you have all your baking info that proves you can pay rent. I told them I had sent that to you and that you had told me you received it. 3 hours later still no response from her. I called the hq of the management property and tried to use logic and reason to see if there was a miscommunication. The HQ says that is a bit odd and that they will get back to me. That was 6 hours ago. I am at a loss for words tbh. There is no way this experience can be normal can it? I just put it another application and the people seem nice so let’s hope for the best. I also had to increase my budget from 1500 to 1800… and even then that is tough. I am so happy to go to Schulich but this experience has made me wonder if this was the right choice. 

Infuriating the kind of fucking idiots who can't comprehend basic information that are making massive passive income doing nothing by virtue of property ownership, while keeping smart and hardworking folks like us down.

• Like 2

chameli B
  • Law Student
12 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Infuriating the kind of fucking idiots who can't comprehend basic information that are making massive passive income doing nothing by virtue of property ownership, while keeping smart and hardworking folks like us down.

But I just don’t get it from a logical perspective. I had the funds in my account. I could have gone to the bank and withdrew the entire years rent. I don’t understand where the disconnect is. My income is recession proof and guaranteed. 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
6 minutes ago, chameli B said:

But I just don’t get it from a logical perspective. I had the funds in my account. I could have gone to the bank and withdrew the entire years rent. I don’t understand where the disconnect is. My income is recession proof and guaranteed. 

They are literally so dumb that their standard process is income verification and their brains shut down when you tried to explain an obviously viable alternative.

• Like 1

chameli B
  • Law Student
1 minute ago, CleanHands said:

They are literally so dumb that their standard process is income verification and their brains shut down when you tried to explain an obviously viable alternative.

That’s what I told my parents and friends tbh. They have a little income verification box and if it’s not an employer, it doesn’t count as that employer box needs to be filled. 

wrendance
  • Law School Admit

This is extremely frustrating and I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I'm also attending Dal in the fall and STRUGGLED to find a place. If I could offer any suggestions, it would be to stay away from these types of companies if you can (which I know is hard as they seem to own the majority of available properties). After doing extensive research, I realized that these companies really are just scamming so many people, with students being an easy target. I found a place on Kijiji by checking 3-4 times per day every day, (luckily I have a pretty relaxed job and could afford to do this, but I know it's a huge time sink). To echo those above, you have to act FAST; even if you aren't 100% sure about it, just reach. In my case, I responded to the add on Friday evening 16 minutes after it was posted, had a face time walk through with the owner on Sunday morning, and signed the lease (with a parent as a co-signer) on Monday. I also had to increase my budget to 1800, though being from BC has basically warped my whole sense of what reasonable rent ought to look like. Best of luck finding a place - hopefully you land one soon!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CleanHands said:

While I was looking for an apartment in Toronto, I filled out an application with my job title as "articling student" and a place of employment, salary, etc.

The landlord writes back with "SORRY NO STUDENT HEAR!!!!".

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

erin otoole
  • Lawyer
16 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

While I was looking for an apartment in Toronto, I filled out an application with my job title as "articling student" and a place of employment, salary, etc.

The landlord writes back with "SORRY NO STUDENT HEAR!!!!".

Was nearly impossible for me to find an apartment in the GTA as an articling student. I on about my 15th application I started putting "articles of clerkship at Law Firm LLP". Eventually I got lucky. 

• LOL 1

• 2 weeks later...
chameli B
  • Law Student

Update:

I signed a lease with a different company last week. They have horrible reviews on Google. They illegally asked for a security deposit before I could see the lease, some discrepancies with the paperwork etc. However, I was desperate, and have very little power in this market, so I just did everything they wanted. I have heard stories of landlords ghosting you if you even hint at not giving in to their illegal demands. In the end, I have a good feeling about the place. And, get this, I just received a text from the first place who ghosted me weeks ago that I got the place..........they said sorry about the delay. I thought about all the reasons why it took this long, but I am just going to conclude general incompetence/a deal fell through and they came back to me. It sucks because the first place was right near the school while the other one is a 10 min bus away. I hope everyone else is having an easier time and sees that it is possible to get a place. 

Edited by chameli B
  • Like 1