Rental Help/Advice

Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get some advice or outlook from everyone. I am currently trying to find an apartment for the upcoming fall as I have been accepted to Dalhousie and was wondering is it better to try to get a place really close to school or is it viable to get a place farther away and buy a used car.  I am currently located in BC so was hoping to get any insight of what people have done to find a place as I have already been scouring Kijiji and other sites trying to find a decent place already. I am also curious how hard it is to buy a decent used car in Halifax? Any information is appreciated.

Thank you

I would be hounding facebook marketplace, I opted to pay more to live in the south end of Halifax vs shelling out for a car ( used market is crazy as well lol). The additional costs of repairs, fuel, insurance, parking, are also something that should be weighed. For what it's worth Halifax is a very walkable city and that's how I'll be getting around town. 

best of luck! 

• 7 months later...

I know incoming students for this fall are or will soon be struggling with the same issues, so I figured I would share some resources as best I can. I'm still trying to sort out my possible living situation and find a roommate for next semester, so I've been using these resources myself, but I do wish there was a group chat or forum for incoming law students. If there is, I haven't found it yet.

The Halifax Apartment & House Rental Near Me facebook group is one of the main groups for finding roommates and sharing apartment listings for Halifax.

The Official Dalhousie University Incoming Class of 2020-21 group is still in use, and not just by students who came in during the 2020-2021 academic year, as it was made by the official Dalhousie Student Life organization. People looking for roommates can look there, as well.

Also, Dalhousie has its own sort of social media app called Dal Mobile, where you can connect with other dal students. They have a discussion channel specifically for finding roommates & discussing housing.

Hope this helps! Reach out if you're having similar struggles and would like to discuss with someone!

Edited by A02
Added info on Dal Mobile app
  • Like 3