Commenting on Firm posts on Linkedin

sarcasticlemon

sarcasticlemon
  • Law Student

Is it a good idea to interact with firms on LinkedIn by commenting on posts? I’m wondering if it might be a good way to start dialogue but I also don’t want to seem weird😂 would welcome any thoughts

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

They post that stuff because they want engagement. Commenting, in itself, will be welcomed and not viewed as weird unless the content of your comments are weird.

That said, it won't help you get a job either.

• Thanks 3

uoftearsalumna
  • Applicant

I wanted to follow up on this. 

I have lawyers connected on LinkedIn who I met through networking from multiple firms. If I like a post from one firm, will the lawyers from the other firms I applied to on LinkedIn see that as an interest in the firm I liked but not the firm they work at? I know this is prob a dumb question, but the many unwritten rules of recruitment now that apps are submitted are so confusing and stressful. 

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

Nobody is paying attention to any of that and if a firm was that psychotic, would you actually want to work there?

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Dnian
  • Law Student
15 minutes ago, uoftearsalumna said:

I have lawyers connected on LinkedIn who I met through networking from multiple firms. If I like a post from one firm, will the lawyers from the other firms I applied to on LinkedIn see that as an interest in the firm I liked but not the firm they work at? I know this is prob a dumb question, but the many unwritten rules of recruitment now that apps are submitted are so confusing and stressful. 

Your post history tells me you are majorly overthinking the recruitment process, probably from stress. I totally get it because I am right there with you - I have agonized for multiple hours over a single mistake (1) that I made in my application materials.

But the answer, like Rashabon said, is that I really don't think the firms (at least, not any of the mainstream ones) care about small details like this.

Step 1 is to have strong enough grades/application materials to land an OCI. Step 2 is to seem sufficiently competent and interested during the interviews that, relative to everyone else they are speaking to, they want to hire you. 

Anything outside of those two steps, in my view, is highly unlikely to impact your application.

Edited by Dnian
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
36 minutes ago, uoftearsalumna said:

There is a much higher chance those lawyers have forgotten who you are than that they would ever notice or care about something like this.

• Like 1

I suppose it's possible that you would put a comment on a linkedin post that's so thoughtful and engaging that the recipient reaches out to you to discuss it.

That said, although it's possible, it has probably never happened.

uoftearsalumna
  • Applicant
2 hours ago, Dnian said:

Your post history tells me you are majorly overthinking the recruitment process, probably from stress. I totally get it because I am right there with you - I have agonized for multiple hours over a single mistake (1) that I made in my application materials.

But the answer, like Rashabon said, is that I really don't think the firms (at least, not any of the mainstream ones) care about small details like this.

Step 1 is to have strong enough grades/application materials to land an OCI. Step 2 is to seem sufficiently competent and interested during the interviews that, relative to everyone else they are speaking to, they want to hire you. 

Anything outside of those two steps, in my view, is highly unlikely to impact your application.

You're totally right -- following submission of applications, it's been a lot of stress thinking i'm not going to get anything in return. I take comfort in the fact that i'm not the only one thinking like this now, as other colleagues I'm aware of feel the same thing. 

• Like 1

Yogurt Baron
1 hour ago, uoftearsalumna said:

You're totally right -- following submission of applications, it's been a lot of stress thinking i'm not going to get anything in return. I take comfort in the fact that i'm not the only one thinking like this now, as other colleagues I'm aware of feel the same thing. 

I've been hanging around these boards since 2008. 2008, B.C., it sometimes feels like. "Stressed about applications, driving self insane about minutiae" is more normal than you could possibly imagine. The die has been cast, my friend. You've done all you can and your applications will turn out how they turn out. Go sit on a patio someplace. You've earned it. You're going to be all right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1