Dalhousie Internships and Experience

Donut2001

Donut2001
  • Undergrad

Hello everyone!

I am a pre-law student entering my final year of undergrad in Saskatchewan (Regina). I am applying to schools this Fall 2023 and I am trying to gain a better understanding of which school might be right for me. I am mostly interested in Indigenous related matters (Indigenous law and policy) as well as constitutional law, etc. I am very interested in Dalhousie with their Indigenous specialization. I am wondering if someone (who has taken a similar path) could shed some light on their experience at Dalhousie for me? I do have some specific questions:

1. Did you find that you were truly able to gain a good understanding of Indigenous law at this institution and were there a lot of experiences/opportunities to explore this area of law? it is my passion area so this is very important to me. 

2. To get a good internship (experience wise and financially), did you actually need to leave Dalhousie for the summers (to go somewhere like Vancouver)? Nova Scotia is already a large move for me so I want to know if such a choice would require even more moving after. 

3. What is the job market like after graduation? I know that I do not want to work in 'big law' but rather in Indigenous law (constitutional law) focusing on land claims, treaty rights, etc. Even more, has anyone moved from Nova Scotia afterwards (back to a place like the prairies) and had success finding good employment? 

4. Are you able to do both an Indigenous specialization as well as their MPA program? Has anyone taken one or the other, and could tell me about their experience a bit? 

Thank you so much for all the help 🙂 it is so appreciated!