What I wish I knew at the beginning first year

BlushAndTheBar

BlushAndTheBar
  • Lawyer

Upper years don't crucify me! Here's what *I* wish I knew in first year: 

• Your tutor is not only a good resource for school related queries, it's a good idea to develop a good relationship with your tutor because they are almost certainly going to go on to do amazing things that you might be interested in hearing about. Your tutor is also very busy and has multiple tutees.
  • Research a case on Google and read summaries before reading a case before class. Reading a watered down summary is better to read before reading the case so you get a general idea and then you can really dig deep into the details when you read the full case. Reading a watered down summary is not the best resource 2 days before an exam (not speaking from experience). Work on your outlines early and DO NOT just take in an outline from an upper year (and if they had a different professor it's even worse!). Legal blogs are a fantastic resource.
  • September of 1L does not start on an even playing field. Some people's parents are lawyers and they have heard about these cases many times before, some people have Phd's, some people are just truly intellectually gifted. BUT everyone who was accepted is here for a reason and so much can happen between 1L and 3L. Law school REALLY IS marathon not a sprint. Try not to focus too much on others and just do your best! 
  • Try to develop meaningful relationships with as many upper year students as you can. Upper years are not only a good resource for outlines but you never know who you will be working with for your 2L/articling job! Or who's FRIEND you'll be working with at your 2L/articling job (people talk!)
  • There is nothing to be read into who participates in class or what they contribute when they participate. Some people just like to participate and some do not and some people just want to participate for the points (if it is part of grading). 
  • Professors are VERY very important, but Mike Molas, Julie Banting, Sara Ali and Helen Connop can also make or break your law school experience. They are incredible resources and treat them with all the grace and kindness in the world. 
  • Be cautious of what professors you will also have in upper years. If you have Professor Maur for Torts you could have her again for Ethics, Civ Pro, a family law course etc. 
  • Good grades open many very fantastic doors, but a bad grade does not automatically close them. But do focus on grades and making good relationships with people before anything else. 
  • Don't think about recruit too much until end of first year unless you are networking. It's not worth it to stress over things that are well into the future. 
  • First year is the foundation, but the fun is really in 2nd and 3rd year. If you're loving first year in first year, great! But if you're not hang in there, it gets much better. 
  • Enjoy your summer and have the time of your life during O-Week! Make as many friends as you can!

Any upper year have anything to add? Am I missing anything? 

Edited by BlushAndTheBar
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Nom! 1

• BlushAndTheBar changed the title to What I wish I knew at the beginning first year