Being a parent AND a law student

mominlaw

mominlaw
  • Law Student

What's your experience? I started a parent/caregiver law student association at my school to create a supportive space - and was able to connect with student-parents from other law schools across Canada. It's been so helpful. My kids were under 5 when I started law school, so finding other parents in similar situations and hearing their stories was more meaningful than reading internet advice from American law students. 

Anyone in this forum have tips/experiences to share with other parent/caregivers who are full-time law students?  

• Like 2

Patient0L
  • Law Student
On 8/18/2023 at 6:26 AM, mominlaw said:

What's your experience? I started a parent/caregiver law student association at my school to create a supportive space - and was able to connect with student-parents from other law schools across Canada. It's been so helpful. My kids were under 5 when I started law school, so finding other parents in similar situations and hearing their stories was more meaningful than reading internet advice from American law students. 

Anyone in this forum have tips/experiences to share with other parent/caregivers who are full-time law students?  

My advice is to have someone else figure out all the childcare logistics for you. I found that in 1L I had no brain space left to figure out where my child was supposed to be and when. Luckily I have a family/spouse willing take that task over %100. Also, be prepared to be a less than perfect parent and be ok with it, ie, your child may have slightly more screen-time and slightly less home made food for 3 years, and maybe fewer activities that require driving, and they will still be ok. 

• Like 3