Reasons to go to TRU?

OldManMills

OldManMills
  • Applicant

Hi all,

Looking to hear from current or past TRU law students. Based on your time in the program, what are some reasons you would give for choosing to go there? Or some of the pros and cons?

HarryCrane
  • Articling Student

I chose TRU because it’s a small, tight knit faculty that’s really collegial - and it’s a reputation that’s known within the legal community. You’ll get to know your profs (and I have) on a personal level and they’re willing and receptive to support you as much as they can. 

The alumni network is also similar. I’ve never had an alumni brush me off, and in fact every alumni interaction I’ve had led to them offering as much help as they could (going over application materials, connecting me to other colleagues from TRU or their coworkers etc.). 

TRU places well in the recruit in BC and AB (Calgary is stronger than Edmonton mind you but Edmonton network is growing). The faculty also has a higher articling placement rate than UVic and UBC - if you want a law job you will get one, the only ones who don’t get articles are the ones who choose not. 

Con? Look, tuition is high and it sucks- but you’ll get a job and be able to pay it off. Course selection can suck at times, but the faculty is receptive to course ideas and has a good array of sessional profs. 

In all, I am beyond happy to be at TRU and wouldn’t change my law school experience at all.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer

I thrived at TRU and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I'm still good friends with a number of classmates and some profs.

But the further removed I get with each passing year, the more I believe that there's one main reason to go to TRU: you want to study in BC and you didn't get into UBC or UVic. That's not an evaluation of the program's quality, just the reality of TRU costing twice as much in tuition fees.

I had to choose between TRU and UWO, both of which had comparable tuition, so I opted for the one closer to home. If I had gotten into UBC or UVic I would have picked one of them and saved $30,000+ in total tuition fees.

• Like 1

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

I'd largely agree with @canuckfanatic (welcome back!). My only solace is that I know graduates of both UVic and UBC that still had 6 figure student loans after graduation. 

It's a great program but those tuition fees are hard to justify when both UVic and UBC are also great programs. 

Kamloops used to at least have an advantage for cost of living but it seems that's quickly disappearing.

• Like 1