CLA 51st annual fall conference worth attending as a 1L?

Naj

Diplock
  • Lawyer

Yes, absolutely. If you know you want to practice criminal law, there is no better way to spend your time than meeting criminal lawyers. Ideally go with someone who can introduce you a bit because otherwise you're likely to feel very lonely and self-conscious, but if you have any kind of "in" at all or if you think you have the nerve to fly in solo and start conversations, you should absolutely go.

• Like 2

Naj
  • Law Student
On 9/13/2023 at 5:21 PM, Diplock said:

Yes, absolutely. If you know you want to practice criminal law, there is no better way to spend your time than meeting criminal lawyers. Ideally go with someone who can introduce you a bit because otherwise you're likely to feel very lonely and self-conscious, but if you have any kind of "in" at all or if you think you have the nerve to fly in solo and start conversations, you should absolutely go.

Ok nice. 

Will I be denied entry if I'm dressed business casual: a sweater, jeans, and probably a jacket of some sort since it'd be colder? 

Also, can I buy you a beer after the conference?

Edited by Naj

Diplock
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, Naj said:

Ok nice. 

Will I be denied entry if I'm dressed business casual: a sweater, jeans, and probably a jacket of some sort since it'd be colder? 

Also, can I buy you a beer after the conference?

That dress code is perfectly fine. It'll vary across the board. Some dress down only to the degree of not wearing a tie and going open collar. Others will be in jeans and comfortable clothes. You won't be at all out of place.

I'm not sure if I'm going, presently. If I am, I'll let you know. Good networking already, btw.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Naj
  • Law Student

Leaving this here for students who may be contemplating attending a future CLA annual conference. I did end up attending 1 of 2 days of the conference, I could not attend the second day for unrelated reasons. The experience was great. Defense attorneys make some of the most enjoyable lectures and presentations, they were genuinely hilarious, informative, and practical. Based on this alone I would recommend any interested student attend. 

You may find an opportunity to socialize with some practicing attorneys but I found it particularly difficult since everyone already knows each other, and the annual conference seems to be their opportunity to catch up. You will pretty much be that new kid at school after summer break. Maybe try and find someone who looks young to sit next to in the auditorium, that way you have an easier time socializing - if they're a recent call, they should be better able to help you with some general experience about getting into defense work out of law school since that experience would be relatively fresh. I did manage to do that after being otherwise unsuccessful with some of the older attendees. I also could not identify any other student, I might have been the only one that day, but don't let this observation discourage you.  

My advice would be to go with a friend, someone in your class. That way you guys can just talk to each other and enjoy the show. 

No mandatory dress code, but everyone's dressed nicely so yeah, probably don't show up in a hat unless you want to stick out like a sore thumb - almost no one seemed to care though so do as you please I guess.

Edit: I will probably attend future annual conferences. So, if you are a student reading this in the future and would like to attend but dread the idea of going alone, feel free to message me here and we can arrange to go together. 

Edited by Naj
  • Like 4