LLM for Niche Practice Area

123sueme

I am considering pursuing an LLM in a somewhat niche practice area in order to help transition into a new area of law. Unfortunately, no Canadian LLMs are offered in this area of law, so I would be looking into going to the US or UK.

My questions are:

1) If you pursued an LLM, did you feel like this helped your career? Or is this more for people pursuing careers in academia solely?

2) Will it look bad to go out of the country for the LLM?

Diplock
  • Lawyer

It won't look bad to go out of the country to pursue a LLM, but if the area of practice is so niche that no one in the country is even teaching it, you have to wonder how many jobs are available where this additional qualification could possibly be meaningful. That would be the thing I'd be most worried about.

• Like 2

Starling
  • Lawyer

I guess it depends what you want to do. I know someone who did a LLM abroad and is now doing international human rights work and living abroad. I don't think they would have found a job like that in Canada, but they also wouldn't have gotten their job abroad without the LLM.

Edited by Starling
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...