Any applicants that attended US Undergrad? Problems with harsher grade/percentage conversion

waynegretzky9999

waynegretzky9999
  • Law School Admit
25 minutes ago, Hegdis said:

No, I meant now you're just picking fights. And this is a very old, worn-out fight. You've even thrown "med school" into the mix now.

You're not the first person to try this argument, and you're not the first person to draw it out long after it's apparent it gets you exactly nowhere except getting into more and more hypothetical and extreme circles with the few who have the energy to keep responding to you. If I were you I'd invest my energy elsewhere.

I mean where was it supposed to go? I was quite clear with my intentions and was only curious on learning more. All I've seen is just accusatory and defensive copium in regards to looser letter grade assignments with no evidence to boot. I mean fair enough, Canadians will understand, but if you were to go outside and tell people in the US, Asia or even parts of Europe you got an A by getting an 85% they'd laugh in your face. 

10 minutes ago, waynegretzky9999 said:

I mean where was it supposed to go? I was quite clear with my intentions and was only curious on learning more. All I've seen is just accusatory and defensive copium in regards to looser letter grade assignments with no evidence to boot. I mean fair enough, Canadians will understand, but if you were to go outside and tell people in the US, Asia or even parts of Europe you got an A by getting an 85% they'd laugh in your face. 

This position only works if you presume that the percentages have any comparable relationships with each other. As I've already mentioned, only letter grades have any comparable value in North America.

Do you really believe Canadians are 10% less accomplished than their American counterparts? And would you believe that American universities would accept an A from a Canadian institution if it's actually a B? It's an absurd position.

waynegretzky9999
  • Law School Admit
15 minutes ago, Ryn said:

This position only works if you presume that the percentages have any comparable relationships with each other. As I've already mentioned, only letter grades have any comparable value in North America.

Do you really believe Canadians are 10% less accomplished than their American counterparts? And would you believe that American universities would accept an A from a Canadian institution if it's actually a B? It's an absurd position.

No and yes

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer
9 hours ago, waynegretzky9999 said:

I was curious to know whether or not there was evidence to prove that a Canadian undergraduate experience was more difficult than the US as many on this thread have implied. 

No one has suggested this, you have improperly generalized an anecdote to support whatever you want it to support.

17 hours ago, waynegretzky9999 said:

On the other hand 35% of US students take AP level courses in high school. If there is a significant difference in difficulty in course material between US undergraduate schools and Canadian undergraduate schools I would like to know, I am currently assuming a similar level and I think that is a fair assumption.

I took several AP courses at a Canadian high school, and I'd be surprised if it had any impact on my undergrad performance at all. They were not substantially more rigorous or otherwise better preparation for university than my other high school courses. They just happened to teach university curriculum to high school students.

I have no idea whether Canadian universities or American universities are more rigorous. But my understanding is the same as that of others' here: most Canadian law school adcoms do not meaningfully account for the difficulty of the degree. I think I've been told that U of T might have some preference for certain programs. But as far as I know, Canadian law schools otherwise tend to just look at the grades, as converted to their scale, without much weighing of grading policies or quality of competition at your undergrad. You can make whatever argument you like to Canadian law schools. But even if I were to agree that American universities are harder graders, I still think it wouldn't matter. I don't think the school will care.

• Like 1