LSO Licensing Application - Good Character Requirement

WhyLaw

WhyLaw
  • Law Student

I understand the good character requirement can be a personal and sensitive topic, but I've reached out to the LSO and they don't give concrete answers. I would really appreciate it if anyone, particularly people who've been licensed by the LSO, can share their experience and what they disclosed or chose not to disclose. I understand that we do not share legal advice here, but hearing people's successful experience could help me decide what to include in my application. I also understand that it is probably safest to overshare than undershare for the good character requirement, but am trying to gauge what to do. 

I am specifically confused by the questions "Have you ever been found guilty of, or convicted of, any offence under any statute?" and "Have you ever been sanctioned or had a penalty imposed upon you by a court, an administrative tribunal or a regulatory body? If yes, provide details."

Are there any trivial things that you did not include in those questions? My only concern is bringing up trivial things that might attract unnecessary investigation. I would appreciate any successful experience with answering those questions. Thank you!

kelleygreen
  • Law School Admit

i think it's pretty straightforward -- they are asking yes or no questions. either you have been found guilty of an offence under any statute or you have not, and you either have been sanctioned or had a penalty imposed upon you by a court, admin tribunal, or regulatory body or you have not. there aren't really a lot of trivial things that fall into either of those categories 

• Like 2

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
Just now, QueensDenning said:

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/toronto/2023/8/24/1_6533634.amp.html

I don’t think the LSO good character requirements are as high a barrier to entry as some may think. 

In recent years a child rapist, a wife-beating cop, and a foiled would-be terrorist mass-murderer have all become Canadian lawyers. Obligatory mea culpa and seemingly all is forgiven and you can be of "good character" after demonstrating you haven't raped or killed anyone in the past 5 minutes. But they will bar you for non-disclosure/dishonesty, so may as well put everything on the table.

Bottom line is that the law societies want to collect fees and they also don't want to have to actually do any regulation to earn them, hence being happy to fill the ranks with scumbags who will openly admit to being scumbags.

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
29 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Bottom line is that the law societies want to collect fees and they also don't want to have to actually do any regulation to earn them, hence being happy to fill the ranks with scumbags who will openly admit to being scumbags.

The further I progress in this career, the more distain I have for the LSO. To me they’re nothing but a pain in the ass that exists to take my money. 

52 minutes ago, QueensDenning said:

The further I progress in this career, the more distain I have for the LSO. To me they’re nothing but a pain in the ass that exists to take my money. 

They are cartels that shield lawyers from foreign competition. But they don’t do much other than issue discipline for complaints of trust account violations. 

SNAILS
  • Law Student

I intend to put exactly the truth (several speeding tickets where I paid the fine without going to court and an illegal turn on a highway).

StephenToast
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, SNAILS said:

I intend to put exactly the truth (several speeding tickets where I paid the fine without going to court and an illegal turn on a highway).

image.png.d3620afbe1eb04c691d7486423d9a7ce.png

Assuming you're in Ontario, you don't need to disclose your speeding tickets.