Is anyone else struggling to figure out what they want to do when they grow up?

existentialdread

existentialdread
  • Law Student

Now that 1L is underway and summer recruitment is a hot topic of conversation, I am really struggling over where to apply.

I am interested in criminal law in a big way, but due to life circumstances and my age, I do not see myself doing defence or crown work. I also find a lot of the more corporate-y stuff quite boring at this point in time, although I am really hoping I can do some kind of hypnosis to convince myself that I love banking and taxes.

Can someone wiser and more seasoned please tell me what kind of law I should explore to get the thrill of criminal while also making a decent living?

Thanks in advance and please don't bully me for this question. 

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

You aren't supposed to know right now. I entered law school convinced that I was gunna do residential conveyancing. I articles at a PI firm,spent a year doing prov court family law stuff (and some other solicitors stuff on the side) and now I'm at a litigation outfit splitting my time between commerical and family litigation.

My best advice, shoot for articles at a larger firm and try to get as much experience in as many different practice areas that you can. Also it's 1L, most people don't get summer jobs that's year. Nothing wrong with one last summer working outside law.

• Like 2

It sounds to me like you're interested in the litigation part of Crim but you want a bit more structure and security. Maybe consider checking out PI/ID and Employment/Labour. While you'll never match the sheer amount of court time you can get in crim other areas of law certianly have litigation components you might enjoy. 

Things like discovery, EUO, tribunal hearings and the like. All with the added bonus of greater stability and pay, not to mention the added benefits of working within a larger firm (admin support, mentorship, more diverse files). 

Edit: someone reminded me that regulatory prosecution in something like the OSC or other organization might be up your alley.