No Offers Today (2L Recruit 2023)

uoftearsalumna

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

Best thing you can do is knock 'em out with your 2L transcript.  Make it dazzling.  Make yourself impossible not to hire in the upcoming (smaller) articling recruit.  As someone said above, you achieved three in-firms, so your interviewing skills are likely decent.  But it is ok to ask those firms for constructive feedback on your interviews, too. 

• Like 1

Psychometronic
  • Lawyer
16 hours ago, uoftearsalumna said:

...uncertainty as to what I did wrong and why these firms didn’t like me enough to extend an offer. 

You might not have done anything wrong and they might have liked you a lot. There are lot of good candidates for very few positions and firms agonize behind closed doors as to who to keep and cut. 

Uncertainty is a recurring theme in this profession so it's worth finding ways to get comfortable with it.

Take some time to deal with the disappointment and then talk to your career office about options. There are a wealth of opportunities in law school to find a job and people who haven't had to job hunt outside of this environment don't know how lucky they are.

Re: lateralling - forget five years, some of my colleagues have done it in under two years. There are recruiters floating around Linkedin who message people about postings and so on. It's not as difficult as you might think.

Not to be harsh, but your posts read as someone who can stand to gain a lot from more life experience. 

• Like 1

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student

I also struck out in the 2L recruit after what I thought were a series of excellent 2nd and 3rd interviews with several firms. I had great grades and extensive extra-cirricular experience. I was crushed when I didn't get a call on call day. I also nearly struck out in the articling recruit, as well. I had a chip on my shoulder for a while. The only offer I received out of the entire 2L and the Articling recruit was the DOJ, which I was of course ecstatic to receive. When I look back on it now, I knew I was probably not a good fit for any of the 2L firms I interviewed with. I couldn't be happier that I'm with DOJ, because I think based on my interests, it was where I was meant to be. In my view, things have a way of working out in the way they are supposed to. In the end, whether now or later, you end up being where you are supposed to end up. 

Edited by capitalttruth
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Hugs 1

6 hours ago, BeRightBack said:

Being an internationally trained lawyer, having left my cozy, rewarding and exciting job back home, having to start to build fresh networks here, and having no clue about the process or any friends in similar recruit cycle, I feel so so lost. 

And then I read these posts which gives me so much hope. You guys are the best! Possibility of working with people like you is what makes me wanna stay here in this country. 

Stick around and keep posting! We could use the perspective of more lawyers who have practiced outside of Canada. 

• Like 7

goodisgood
  • Law Student

Like the others who thought they didn't do horribly on OCIs then proceeded to flunk out of the procedure, I know how it feels to feel unwanted. It sucks. I also made a similar doom & gloom post last year. It doubly sucks because the schools seem to tunnel in on the OCI process to the detriment of everything else, and it makes you feel like you have to tunnel on the OCI procedure too. 

To echo the others, I also ended up getting a summer job in 2L almost right after OCIs in an area of law that I ended up not having to fake my interest in. This firm is also where I'll article. Don't give up and you may end up with results beyond your expectations.

Edited by goodisgood
  • Like 3