Military/JAG Transitioning to Private Practice

beachhouse

beachhouse
  • Lawyer

So I am called to the bar and currently serving in the military, not currently a JAG but I started an application to transfer to the branch. 

When I joined, I was planning to serve our country only briefly and the last year has been a thrill and an adventure. I've experienced things I never imagined myself doing, but at the same time I've come to learn how incredibly demanding this lifestyle is. There is simply no parallel in the civilian world, and I can expect to be moved around and deployed abroad often in the future. Every aspect of my life is second to service to country and this is having a big impact on my family life and social life. 

Anyways I am thinking of leaving the military altogether. To get it approved by my chain of command, I would need to have a good reason and a good exit plan ready. I didn't practice law for long, but enjoyed it immensely and still find myself reading case law/legal news in my downtime.

I would appreciate any thoughts on hiring an ex-military member, the best way going about finding a legal job, and any other useful pointers. 

I'm confused, so you've applied to VOT to JAG but you're also trying to VR? 

In any case if your goal is a civvy side law job, start networking now. I know a VR can take a while but so can finding a suitable position. Start laying the groundwork. Might also help to reach out to other former service members in cities/practice areas that interest you. 

beachhouse
  • Lawyer
12 minutes ago, LMP said:

I'm confused, so you've applied to VOT to JAG but you're also trying to VR? 

In any case if your goal is a civvy side law job, start networking now. I know a VR can take a while but so can finding a suitable position. Start laying the groundwork. Might also help to reach out to other former service members in cities/practice areas that interest you. 

I put in my VOT, but thinking of VRing. 

I plan to move back to Southern Ontario, and currently located away from it so networking concurrently might be difficult. 

Are you current/ex CAF? 

Edited by beachhouse

5 minutes ago, beachhouse said:

I put in my VOT, but thinking of VRing. 

I plan to move back to Southern Ontario, and currently located away from it so networking concurrently might be difficult. 

Are you current/ex CAF? 

Yes, was on full time before law school (class B, not regs) and part-time throughout. 

Is there any area of practice you're considering? I'm not exactly the king of networking but I might be able to point you to some helpful contacts or oppertunites.

beachhouse
  • Lawyer
50 minutes ago, LMP said:

Yes, was on full time before law school (class B, not regs) and part-time throughout. 

Is there any area of practice you're considering? I'm not exactly the king of networking but I might be able to point you to some helpful contacts or oppertunites.

I would much appreciate that. I am interested in corporate and technology law since it aligns with the area I have the most experience in. 

Just having a foot back in the door in any field is good with me too.