How soon is too soon to change firms?

99problems

99problems
  • Lawyer

I am thinking about applying to another firm, but I haven't been in my current firm for a long time (been 6 months). Is it too soon? Would it reflect negatively on me, suggesting that something might be wrong with my performance?

Also, would my current firm somehow find about me reaching out to another firm? I'm kinda sure that they wouldn't but still feel anxious about it.

Thanks,

The Rooster
  • Lawyer

Personally, I've always given it a year. I don't think there's a bright line, though. You have your reasons for leaving -- put yourself first and trust that your reputation will be earned over time through good work and relationships built with whichever firm. Now, if you left for a new firm every year for 5 years, that may signal something to prospective employers. That said, with today's job climate, I don't think it raises the red flag as high as it used to.

Your current firm could find out quite easily. People talk. Depends on the City you're in, as well. I'd guess that you're less likely to be found out in Toronto than in Ottawa than in Thunder Bay. Again: put yourself first. If you want to work at another firm, there's only one way to do it. You could expressly ask that they keep it on the down low.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

99problems
  • Lawyer
3 minutes ago, The Rooster said:

If you want to work at another firm, there's only one way to do it.

But if it doesn't work out with the other firm and my current firm finds out about it, it would be pretty awkward, no?

Turtles
  • Law Student
18 hours ago, 99problems said:

I am thinking about applying to another firm, but I haven't been in my current firm for a long time (been 6 months). Is it too soon? Would it reflect negatively on me, suggesting that something might be wrong with my performance?

Not yet a lawyer, but general advice feels applicable and you might benefit from some reassurance here. Ask yourself why you want to leave. Desire to shift practice areas or kind of work, compensation, office location, work from home policies, work culture, not getting along with partners in your group? If you have an objectively reasonable justification, then you have an objectively reasonable justification. (Objectively reasonable requires it to be something that the firm can't solve for you, even if you communicated your concerns effectively, and which others could understand if you explained it.) People can always draw an adverse inference, and that probably would decrease the longer you stay, but if there's objectively reasonable justification for you to leave, then (i) the kinds of firms you want to go to should understand and not hold it against you (why would you want to work at a firm that assumes the worst possible interpretation to your detriment in the absence of information?), and (ii) you have your own justification to take the risk to leave sooner rather than later. If your justification for leaving isn't worth some marginal added risk that your short time with the firm will be construed adversely by a firm you would otherwise consider, maybe you feel your justification for leaving isn't so strong and you might favour giving it more time to see if things might improve while extending your time there for resume purposes. It should go without saying that the significance of this job and its impact on your resume will vary based on whether you're new in your career or an advanced year of call. And context is key (e.g., are you moving "up" to a better-regarded firm or changing your practice area or relocating cities, all of which can be gleaned from your resume and LinkedIn and might not invoke many questions, vs leaving to go do the same exact same work at a peer firm across the street; the latter may elicit more concern and require you to disclose your objectively reasonable justification to overcome their concerns, so make sure it is in fact objectively reasonable). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

I'd want to hear a pretty good reason for why you are leaving your current firm so quickly, before hiring you. How long were you at the firm before your current firm?  How many firms have you been with in total? 

Though I also agree that all of this might well be overlooked if you are in the sweet spot for associate laterals and the firm to which you're applying has a real need.

• Like 1

Aureliuse
  • Lawyer

So to present you with both sides of the coin:

Given that litigation moves at the speed of molasses going downhill (at least in Ontario), not staying long enough at a firm would deprive you of opportunities to see a file from head to tail. We no longer have trials within a year in most cases. While most cases settle, I do believe for the rare cases where you get to observe/do a trial, that experience is highly valuable, especially when you start out. 

Grass is also not always  greener on the other side. Pay is not everything. It does suck to be stuck in the office on holidays to meet a deadline in January.

However, short and immediate departures are justified if:

1. Your employer is rude, demeaning, and unfair. For example, screaming at you for an hour for a missed email/mistake on a letter.

2. Your employer is engaging in unethical practice, and is known around the community for being "slimy." You do not want to get caught up in a law society investigation/tribunal hearing.

3. Your spouse needs to relocate to another city for better employment (marriage/long-term relationship > career).

4.  You have an ill family member who requires around-the-clock care and assistance.

5. The work environment is toxic and unfriendly. It's a revolving door of staff. Constant drama.

6. When you can no longer meet your bills or feed your children.

7. You are constantly short-changed with your bonuses, billables, benefits etc.

8. You have poor support staff - and management/partnership is not doing anything to improve after months (incompetent law clerk for example).

9. Employment law related complaints like sexual harassment, unwanted touching, contractual breaches etc.

I left employers in the past after 4 months of employment, or 1 year of employment. In both cases, I "NOPED" out of there quick due to some of the reasons above.

I am at a point where I feel that with the cost of living skyrocketing, loyalty takes a backseat. We can't be "starving artists" and enslaved by debt.

• Like 7

The Rooster
  • Lawyer
On 11/20/2023 at 5:59 PM, 99problems said:

But if it doesn't work out with the other firm and my current firm finds out about it, it would be pretty awkward, no?

It sure has the potential to be. My advice would be the same: If, upon reflection and analysis, you want to work elsewhere, your concerns are necessary risks that you'll have to simply accept. The overwhelming majority of lawyers in private practice have left one firm for another, so you're among friends and aren't doing anything shocking to anyone with eyes or ears.

• Thanks 1

AllWellAndGood
  • Lawyer
On 11/20/2023 at 2:59 PM, 99problems said:

Working with a recruiter can help alleviate this concern.

• Like 1