Should I transfer from UBC to Robson Hall?

Glaucon

Glaucon
  • Law School Admit

Title speaks for itself.

I'm a 1L. Grew up in Winnipeg, whole family is still there, did undergrad at UBC, just started at UBC law school.

Reasons I want to transfer: 1) If I move to Winnipeg, I could save well over $20k on rent over the next two years of school, 2) I would prefer to work in Manitoba rather than B.C.

Reasons I may not want to transfer: 1) Quality of teachers might go down? 2) missing a few unique experiential opportunities at Allard, like the 3L judicial externship, 3) idk, regret?

Any thoughts?

99problems
  • Lawyer
9 minutes ago, Glaucon said:

Title speaks for itself.

I'm a 1L. Grew up in Winnipeg, whole family is still there, did undergrad at UBC, just started at UBC law school.

Reasons I want to transfer: 1) If I move to Winnipeg, I could save well over $20k on rent over the next two years of school, 2) I would prefer to work in Manitoba rather than B.C.

Reasons I may not want to transfer: 1) Quality of teachers might go down? 2) missing a few unique experiential opportunities at Allard, like the 3L judicial externship, 3) idk, regret?

Any thoughts?

If your goal is to work in Manitoba, go to Robson Hall.

• Like 2

LawNewbie
  • Law Student
On 11/20/2023 at 2:23 PM, Glaucon said:

Title speaks for itself.

Any thoughts?

Hey classmate, I'll miss you if you go!

• Like 1

You are right on all points. 

Pro - 1) Tuition and living costs are cheap https://umanitoba.ca/law/programs-of-study/admissions/admission-first-year-jd-program

2) Articling jobs are easier to get.  https://www.oba.org/Sections/Young-Lawyers-Division/Articles/Articles-2017/November-2017/Articling-Crisis-Views-from-across-the-country

Con - 1) Quality of teachers will definitely go down, though most are highly professional professional https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/professor/83684https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/law-society-hearing-closing-statements-dean-jonathan-black-branch-1.7037450

2) Judicial externships are not available, clinic ones are available.  

3) Possible

• Like 1

The quality of your education won't suffer, the professor's will be just as credentialed and component at Robson Hall. 

If your goal is to work in Manitoba I think you should absolutely make the jump. 

• Like 2

Tesseract
  • Law Student

Apply to transfer.

Have friends at UBC and UVic, both tell me the places are extremely over-rated (Vic more than UBC because they pump their tires fuller as the second rate school, UBC ppl tend to be more honest about the place.) and both hate their lives. 

Saving money always helps too. 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 3:11 PM, Tesseract said:

Apply to transfer.

Have friends at UBC and UVic, both tell me the places are extremely over-rated (Vic more than UBC because they pump their tires fuller as the second rate school, UBC ppl tend to be more honest about the place.) and both hate their lives. 

Saving money always helps too. 

wow what are their complaints about UBC?

• Like 1