UBC GPA Calculation: Pass/Fail Courses

ellewoodssupremacy

ellewoodssupremacy
  • Law School Admit

Hello! I was trying to calculate my UBC gpa and I was wondering how they handle pass fail courses. Since they do not look at the pass fail courses, does that mean those courses fill up the 12 lowest credits dropped? Ex. Let's say I have 2 pass fail courses, does that mean 6/12 of the 12 lowest credits that are dropped are already filled? Thank you!

LawSchoolJones
  • Law School Admit

I'm not fully sure, but I believe they sort of treat them as a "blind" credit. Meaning, they count towards your credit requirement (if you have say 90 credits, but six of those credits are pass/fail, you still have 90 credits for them). But, they don't count them as your "worst" grades. I think the reasoning for this would be that they simply don't know what your grade was in that class - it could have been worse, or it could've been better than your current worst. So, as far as I can tell, those "dropped" 12 credits come from outside of your pass/fail. I think the counter to this would be that if someone has a lot of pass/fail that could be a ding against them. Someone might correct me but I believe my interpretation is correct!

• Thanks 1

ellewoodssupremacy
  • Law School Admit
23 minutes ago, LawSchoolJones said:

I'm not fully sure, but I believe they sort of treat them as a "blind" credit. Meaning, they count towards your credit requirement (if you have say 90 credits, but six of those credits are pass/fail, you still have 90 credits for them). But, they don't count them as your "worst" grades. I think the reasoning for this would be that they simply don't know what your grade was in that class - it could have been worse, or it could've been better than your current worst. So, as far as I can tell, those "dropped" 12 credits come from outside of your pass/fail. I think the counter to this would be that if someone has a lot of pass/fail that could be a ding against them. Someone might correct me but I believe my interpretation is correct!

Ok I see, thanks for the reply!