What law school has access or proximity to the best workout facilities/gym(s)?

MyWifesBoyfriend

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit

Haven’t seen this question asked before. Genuinely interested since I spend ~2 hours a day working out.

I figure if I can’t get good grades, I might as well be able to lift an atlas stone.

Edited by BurnerQuestion123
  • Like 1

• MyWifesBoyfriend changed the title to What law school has access or proximity to the best workout facilities/gym(s)?
MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit
8 hours ago, FlyingFish said:

The UofA has a stellar gym.

Do they have a hack squat machine or an indoor track? 

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer

I would argue TRU. The Tournament Capital Centre is on campus and is an amazing athletic facility with a complete gym, indoor track, multiple basketball courts, pools, saunas, and a cafe. Outside it has multiple sports fields and an outdoor track. It's an 8-10 minute walk from the law building, so you'd usually catch law students there between or after classes. With a student discount, it cost $35/month.

The gym is split into two sections - one side with more cardio and cable machines, and another side with more squat racks, benches and free weights. The strongest I've ever been in my life was while I was at TRU, working out with classmates.

Edited by canuckfanatic
  • Thanks 1

Renerik
  • Law Student
5 hours ago, BurnerQuestion123 said:

Do they have a hack squat machine or an indoor track? 

UofA student here - the gym is great. Compared to the gyms at other law schools, it's one of the better ones. They have 12 or 14 squat racks and plenty of weights. They also have a powerlifting/weightlifting only area with Eleiko plates. Indoore running track too, though it's not always available if they're setting up for an indoor event. 

Biggest gripe is that they don't have a hack squat - I've complained to the manager and they said they might get one depending on their end of year budget. 

I don't have many pictures of the gym, especially without me, but here's a small sampling of the equipment. I'll upload proper pics tomorrow AM.

20231113_091835.jpg

20231101_070449.jpg

20230816_151022.jpg

20230812_131620.jpg

• Thanks 1

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit
12 minutes ago, Renerik said:

Biggest gripe is that they don't have a hack squat - I've complained to the manager and they said they might get one depending on their end of year budget. 

Cool photos! Looks like the windows have a good view of what seems to be a quad/green space as well. Well-lit gyms are always great. 

37 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

I would argue TRU. The Tournament Capital Centre is on campus and is an amazing athletic facility with a complete gym, indoor track, multiple basketball courts, pools, saunas, and a cafe. Outside it has multiple sports fields and an outdoor track.

Actually started this thread because this was mentioned in an earlier thread. This seems like an incredible deal all things considered. I am currently paying ~$70/month for a subpar Goodlife built in a basement, so these both seem like huge upgrades (assuming I get admitted). 

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
34 minutes ago, BurnerQuestion123 said:

Actually started this thread because this was mentioned in an earlier thread. This seems like an incredible deal all things considered. I am currently paying ~$70/month for a subpar Goodlife built in a basement, so these both seem like huge upgrades (assuming I get admitted). 

I miss the TCC so much. I'm at a good gym now in metro Vancouver, but it's $60/month and doesn't have nearly as many features. The gym at the TCC is above the track and basketball courts, so you can often catch a TRU Wolfpack volleyball or basketball game while you're working out. Here are some photos of the TCC:

Kamloops-Aquatic-Centre-mainweb.thumb.jpg.58822d65e08a2a040e6c092d28562ebe.jpg

tcc-november_10_2013-0099.thumb.jpg.c0399e7ba967a13f0ed8041c2e6167fd.jpg

tcc-november_10_2013-0021.thumb.jpg.d7fb3657fb9500ab517590bc0d447a86.jpg

tcc-fieldhouse.thumb.webp.e16a5b46ba48dc4b9d6ec0864222149d.webp

Kamloops-CGAC-2.thumb.jpg.67a7ad6c154268a3e4f0df5ddc7b81a7.jpg

• Nom! 1

ls.ca
  • Law Student

As someone who attended Dal for undergrad - The new Dalplex is a brand new gym/equipment, with a decent amount of machines. They've also got a high-performance room for team workouts, and they have a huge gym where you could play ~10 volleyball games simultaneously. The fitness hall was my favorite, as the glass all-around gives so much natural light. You add those windows with the high ceiling, as the whole space feels really breathable and not stuffy, even at peak times. The downside is that is was always really busy at peak student times, and I never had my shit together in undergrad to be at the gym for 6:30am. I spent a lot of time waiting for machines to be free (they need 5x more squat racks), and often had to change up workout plans in order to save time. Here are photos:

image.png.c75a7197cbf97903cf919fca9ed6e9cb.png

image.png.9933a9b38539e858127c200556510328.png

image.png.4d13878624ec2f93a8c8e8a7e25784e8.png

As someone who lives in Toronto right now - UofT gyms are awesome. Goldring is really nice, especially as a guy who likes to get-in, do their thing, and get out. Photos don't do the space justice online, although there is a video somewhere that shows a full tour. The AC and Hart House are also solid options, just older and more outdated with equipment. HH gets surprisingly busy, and has very few machines. I am a sucker for the collegiate aesthetic though at HH. Photos of HH gym are here:

image.thumb.png.282861f60bc68d0c2b6e5493e69ab158.png

image.thumb.png.d85d924a4208660a885ec6fe47d85c29.png

image.png.6354280476cc8e0b071c732326ee74e5.png

Love seeing the other options out there. Nice question.

• Like 1

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit

@canuckfanatic Easily the some of the nicest workout facilities I've seen. Also can't help but notice that view in Kamloops - this may win IMO. 

1 hour ago, ls.ca said:

As someone who lives in Toronto right now - UofT gyms are awesome.

Did my undergrad at U of T, and played a varsity sport, so I certainly spent a LOT of time in Goldring. Goldring was great, but it's mainly free weights/olympic lifts. The view of the turf is pretty cool, and it's located centrally which is nice. 

I'd agree, Hart House has a great oldschool vibe to it with the brick interior. My classmates had polarizing views, but I have many fond memories of having my ankles broken during pickup basketball at HH. 

AC was great too, but SUPER crowded during peak hours. The squash courts were also nice. 

Edited by BurnerQuestion123

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

@canuckfanatic So that's where our tuition dollars ended up.

Seriously though, I have regrets not making use of the TCC while I was at TRU. Much hard to form good habits now.

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, Lawstudents20202020 said:

So that's where our tuition dollars ended up.

I may have spent more time at the TCC than the law building, so I'm not even mad

• LOL 1

LawNewbie
  • Law Student

Two things:

1. You probably won't have the 2 hours for workout per day in 1L;

2. If you're really into workouts, don't consider UBC.

Kobe
  • Law Student
2 minutes ago, LawNewbie said:

On this point, there's very little to be gained from sacrificing your physical health to put in an extra couple hours of studying. Plenty of people maintain their physical health and are better for it. If you can't find 2 hours to do something you want each day in 1L you are probably working yourself way too hard. 

I think this idea that 1L is so busy you have no time to live even a semi-normal life is not true and not even close to my experience. I did fine in 1L while maintaining much more than 2 hours per day of non-school stuff. 

• Like 4

Naj
  • Law Student
17 minutes ago, LawNewbie said:

Kobe said it, but I might as well reaffirm that this is absolute jokes  

• Like 4

LawNewbie
  • Law Student
19 minutes ago, Kobe said:

On this point, there's very little to be gained from sacrificing your physical health to put in an extra couple hours of studying. Plenty of people maintain their physical health and are better for it. If you can't find 2 hours to do something you want each day in 1L you are probably working yourself way too hard. 

I think this idea that 1L is so busy you have no time to live even a semi-normal life is not true and not even close to my experience. I did fine in 1L while maintaining much more than 2 hours per day of non-school stuff. 

I agree with you that it's absolutely possible to have 2 hours for yourself per day in 1L, and it's important. 

I do love workouts, and I spend 10 hours per week in gyms, and 2 hours for ball games. 

I guess I should've made my point more clear. If workouts are the only thing you do in your free time, that's fair. But my point was that, you must have something else to do in the time you have for yourself, which means you have to set aside significantly more down time (e.g. 30 hours per week), which is arguably not practical in 1L, in my perspective. 

Edited by LawNewbie
  • Like 1

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit

I’m adaptable, if I need to grind school, I can reduce the workout volume! And @LawNewbie has a point, I have other hobbies/things I enjoy, so I’ll definitely need to apportion my time more efficiently during workouts.

• Like 1

Naj
  • Law Student

If you're studying efficiently and managing your time half decently (and you'll figure out how to do that fairly quickly during the first few weeks of 1L) you'll have all the time in the world to do whatever the fuck you want. It's not any more deeper or complicated than that.

Just to illustrate: a friend in my program takes care of his family (2 young kids), and runs a business. He consistently gets the highest marks on assignments and still finds time to come out for some good ol' fash shisha on the weekends.

Edited by Naj
  • Like 1

Renerik
  • Law Student
23 hours ago, MyWifesBoyfriend said:

Anyone able to weigh in on the Oz/York gym?

It's one of the worst.

Re: Time commitment - The idea that you can't have a life, do decent in 1L, and work out 2 hours a day is a bad take.

- UofA's #1 bencher

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Renerik
  • Law Student

Never been. 

If the forum can crowdfund 1-2K, I'll go on a cross-Canada to visit each (law) school's fitness facility and make a tier list. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

MyWifesBoyfriend
  • Law School Admit
17 hours ago, Renerik said:

UofA's #1 bencher

Don’t want to derail the thread too much, but any input/advice on ‘upping’ my bench?

More of a legs guy and I’ve lost motivation with bench, so chest days I’ll usually stick around 225/240 and bang out 4x10 reps just to keep the area fit. I used to do Bill Starr 5x5s to increase weight, but I sort of plateau’d after hitting an ORM of 300lbs. 

Renerik
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, MyWifesBoyfriend said:

I’ll usually stick around 225/240 and bang out 4x10 reps just to keep the area fit.

If you can rep out 225-240 for multiple sets of 10 you can likely press more than 300 1RM. If I were to wager you could likely hit 325+ but are getting psyched out at higher weights. Try throwing in some heavy sets with your light ones. On my heavy bench days I'll do 275x10, 315x8, 330x5, 375x2-3, 385x1, and then I try maxing out (405+).

IMO a good bench requires more form than a good deadlift/squat. I started typing out a list of cues that I follow but it became hard to follow... Most intermediate lifters hit all the right cues (leg drive, back arch, core activation, etc) but they don't do them well. A good leg drive will work your legs more than a set of deads/squats. A good core activation will feel like you were doing planks. Treat form and cues as skills that you need to get better at and not simply a checklist.

• Thanks 1