Extreme anxiety surrounding the bar exam

newbie99

newbie99
  • Law Student

I am currently a 3L at an Ontario law school and feeling extremely anxious about the Ontario bar exam. My firm has asked for us to do the first sitting in June. I feel like everyone I talk to just tells me to calm down and you'll be ready when the time comes around. I was recently on the r/lawcanada and reading all the comments of people failing or having taken now the exam for the third and fourth time during the past November sitting just made things worse for me. I feel like I know absolutely nothing, I have no idea how I'm supposed to even study for this exam. I feel like I'm completely in the dark.

JohnnyCochrane68

The way it worked a few years ago was as follows:

1) LSO releases the open book materials for the exam. 

2) U of T students go and update a running index and table of contents from previous years which give page references for each key word/concept - it's a long index

3) The U of T students give the index to some test company which them gives them free access to a database of practice tests

4) You can either buy the index from the test company or get it from a pal at U of T

5) You print and bind the materials yourself

6) go through the materials with the index at hand to understand how the cross referencing works and to get an intuition as to where to find things 

7) do practice exams to get used to using your index to find answers

8 ) you bring your materials to the Enercan building and have a couple of shitty days while you write the tests

• Like 1

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, newbie99 said:

I am currently a 3L at an Ontario law school and feeling extremely anxious about the Ontario bar exam. My firm has asked for us to do the first sitting in June. I feel like everyone I talk to just tells me to calm down and you'll be ready when the time comes around. I was recently on the r/lawcanada and reading all the comments of people failing or having taken now the exam for the third and fourth time during the past November sitting just made things worse for me. I feel like I know absolutely nothing, I have no idea how I'm supposed to even study for this exam. I feel like I'm completely in the dark.

You don't have to know much beyond the absolute basics and terminology of law - which you've picked up in law school, whether you feel like you have or not. The PR sections are heavily common sense (ie. if "seek advice from client" is a response, it's probably correct) and make up a substantial portion of the test. Other than that, you'll have a couple months to get familiar with the materials and learn how to navigate them. Every year, hundreds of law students manage to do this and pass both exams on their first attempt, and you probably will as well. If you don't, it's not the end of the world and you'll have more shots.

Don't start stressing now. You don't even have the materials so there is nothing for you to study. Power through 3L and then turn your attention to the bar.

omigone
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, JohnnyCochrane68 said:

8 ) you bring your materials to the Enercan building and have a couple of shitty days while you write the tests

Is this in Unionville? Has the bar historically taken place here? Asking because I'm bracing myself for an awful commute 😂

JackoMcSnacko
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, omigone said:

Is this in Unionville? Has the bar historically taken place here? Asking because I'm bracing myself for an awful commute 😂

I think they mean Enercare Centre, near BMO field.  Still an awful commute, but not Unionville...

• Like 2

JohnnyCochrane68
2 hours ago, omigone said:

The place down by the exhibition, whatever it's called. at least you can walk around during the break and sort of enjoy the lakefront

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
SNAILS
  • Articling Student

Try to to be anxious about the bar/solic. exam YET. Get through the rest of your 3L year first.

If you fail, you can do it again  without really any penalty. From what I heard, people that failed didn't study very hard.

TommyBratton
  • Articling Student
On 1/11/2024 at 3:54 PM, JohnnyCochrane68 said:

The place down by the exhibition, whatever it's called. at least you can walk around during the break and sort of enjoy the lakefront

I wrote the bar in the summer 2023 sitting and it was held in the Toronto Congress Centre by the airport. Just two days two weeks apart.