Mediocre grades. Still possible for 1L recruitment?

stampedelaw

stampedelaw
  • Applicant

Just got all grades back. Very mediocre. One A-, one B+, and all B for the rest of them. 

So is it still worth applying to the 1L recruitment of those big firms this semester? Or should better wait until 2L recruitment when my grades improve?

luckycharm
1 hour ago, stampedelaw said:

Just got all grades back. Very mediocre. One A-, one B+, and all B for the rest of them. 

So is it still worth applying to the 1L recruitment of those big firms this semester? Or should better wait until 2L recruitment when my grades improve?

"Very mediocre" ?  Not really

• Like 1

utahjazz
  • Law Student

Not really a statistics guy, and not sure what the curve looks like at your school, but I'd say that puts you solidly in the top third of your class, and maybe even the top quarter?

Well done on your first semester, and absolutely, you should shoot your shot! Best of luck. 🙂

TheMidnightOil
  • Law Student

Those grades are easily above average and definitely competitive for the 1L recruit. Don't be hard on yourself, you're doing well so far 😊

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

Some people have never been in a curved class before and it shows 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

stampedelaw
  • Applicant

Thanks for all your encouragement! At our school, the median for most courses is B (does this mean the curve is B?) and it is B- for Constitutional law. And our Torts prof told us she rarely gives A and C. Not sure about how to calculate this but it looks like all my grades would average down to B. And I heard that the cutoff GPA line for many big law firm applications is B+. So that's why I think my grades is just mediocre. Plus, it seems all people I know are pretty happy about their grades. So I guess everyone did pretty good job and the application will be competitive. 

Anyway, now I decide I'll apply, not throwing away my shot. Thanks again!

• Like 1

sandibay
  • Law School Admit

If you're in Alberta, those grades are definitely enough for firms to consider you for 1L recruit.

JohnnyCochrane68

Hiring is fickle, grades aren't everything. You really lose nothing by trying.

• 1 month later...
stampedelaw
  • Applicant

Update: Hey all, thanks for your encouragement! I applied broadly (18 firms), got 3 interviews, and 1 offer. 1L recruit is indeed very stressful, but I'm happy with this outcome.

• Like 8