Are my grades competitive for 1L recruit?

doggoford

doggoford
  • Applicant

Just got my grades back and I have: A A- A- B+ B+ C at uOttawa.

There is a big caveat behind the C grade (only reflects one test worth 25%).

Is this considered competitive or is that C grade going to sabotage my chances?

Edited by doggoford

• doggoford changed the title to Are my grades competitive for 1L recruit?
chaboywb
  • Lawyer
11 hours ago, doggoford said:

Just got my grades back and I have: A A- A- B+ B+ C at uOttawa.

There is a big caveat behind the C grade (only reflects one test worth 25%).

Is this considered competitive or is that C grade going to sabotage my chances?

Unfortunately the caveat doesn't mean anything because employers will only see the grades. It wasn't legal foundations, was it? In my day, you didn't have to report that grade for the 1L recruit.

If we look at last year's (reported) results, Ottawa landed three students at large, full-service firms (including one through McCarthy's Black & Indigenous recruit) and a few students at strong boutiques. That's fairly consistent with past years. So about 1% of students will get a position.

Your grades are above average and you have a shot at some interviews. Are there firms that will see a C and automatically reject you? Perhaps. But you really only need to land one interview and suddenly your grades don't matter. Be pleased about your grades and keep it up this term, but also don't put a ton of mental stock into this highly competitive recruit. You will certainly be a strong candidate for the 2L recruit if your grades look like this by end of year.

scooter
  • Law Student

Well, your overall GPA is technically above average for Ottawa, but the C is obviously not ideal. Personally, I would say you should temper your expectations for the 1L recruit.  Still apply if it's something you're interested in, obviously. 

Dean's list at Ottawa is a 7.5 (a B+ is a 7 and an A- is an 8), but they won't tell you what percentage of students get Dean's list, so it's difficult to know where you stand.

If it makes you feel better, Ottawa doesn't have a B- on the grading scale. It goes straight from B to C**, so the C is not quite as bad as it may initially appear, in the sense that it's pretty feasible to bring that course up to  a B or B+ for final 1L grades.

**Edit for posterity: The Ottawa grading curve actually goes from B to C+, as pointed out below

Edited by scooter

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
1 minute ago, scooter said:

It goes straight from B to C, so the C is not quite as bad as it may initially appear, in the sense that it's pretty feasible to bring that course up to  a B or B+ for final 1L grades.

There is a C+, though.

Source: Had two of 'em.

scooter
  • Law Student
Just now, chaboywb said:

There is a C+, though.

Source: Had two of 'em.

Good point. Forgot about that 😂

Rigel
  • Applicant

I only got grades for 5 of my courses, haven't heard anything from the legal foundation yet. What are the courses you get the grades?

doggoford
  • Applicant
3 hours ago, Rigel said:

I only got grades for 5 of my courses, haven't heard anything from the legal foundation yet. What are the courses you get the grades?

Seems like I double-typed a grade! It should be one A-, not two. I did not get my legal foundations grade back either.

Rigel
  • Applicant
4 hours ago, doggoford said:

Seems like I double-typed a grade! It should be one A-, not two. I did not get my legal foundations grade back either.

That makes sense. For the course you get C, is that Property? (which only has 5 multiple quesions lol) I'm thinking maybe we are in the same section.

doggoford
  • Applicant
16 hours ago, Rigel said:

That makes sense. For the course you get C, is that Property? (which only has 5 multiple quesions lol) I'm thinking maybe we are in the same section.

Yes, it was property. We are definitely in the same section haha. I thought the 5 multiple choice set us up for failure but it is what it is.