Summer Classes?

OldManMills
  • Applicant

What are people's experience with summer law classes at Allard? 

I'm interested in taking a full class load each summer to graduate early, but I'm concerned that Allard does not offer enough courses to do this realistically.. From what I've seen so far, Uvic seems to offer a lot more through the summer. Any insights? 

traintogo
  • Law Student

Allard rarely offers a full semesters worth of courses (usually 3/4 classes not 5) and they’re usually the same classes year to year, so you wouldn’t get two semesters out of two summers. 

Here’s what’s being offered this year: https://allard.ubc.ca/student-portal/registration-courses-exams/jd-llmcl-and-llmt-summer-program/jd-llmcl-and-llmt-summer-course-listings

For the past 2 summers and this upcoming summer, the following classes have been offered: Evidence, business organizations, admin law, and advanced legal research. Last year, ethics and a special tax course were also offered. There has not been much of any variance in classes offered each summer. The only differences from summer to summer seem to be the professors teaching the courses.

You can supplement the summer offering with 1 or more directed researches or you can chose to do a clinic which is worth a full semesters credits (note that you cannot take classes while doing a clinic).

so, if you want to get a full semester of credits during the summer I recommend you:

1. Do a clinic (the Rise Clinic or the Indigenous Community Legal Clinic are usually offered each semester and are worth 15 credits. You could do LSLAP for I think 6 or 9 credits and take only one course), or

2. Take as many classes as you can/want and do a directed research (or maybe two) with a professor to get to 15 credits 

• Like 1