Queen's budget cuts

atlas

atlas
  • Applicant

I have been seeing a lot of news recently about the university's budget cuts and the school operating on a financial deficit. I was wondering if anyone has insight on whether this might affect the law faculty and the quality of the law program overall. I'm thinking of going there for law school, but I wanted to know more about how this will impact the coming years of the university before making a decision. 

• 1 month later...
HotJudgeSundae
  • Law Student

Hey current student here! Queens operates in silos, meaning each faculty is solely responsible for their own budget and operating costs. 
the news you’re seeing is centered around the faculty of arts who are in a sticky situation due to the provincial tuition freezes, operating costs post COVID etc. the provost went a bit overboard on the news and his statements, I assume to try and get the attention of the government and investors.

Queens law however, is just fine. We’re no UofT with their massive budget (but no school is lol). You’ll see a large discrepancy between faculties here. For example the business school and Eng school (both with large donations from the Smith family) are doing VERY well. As is law and medicine. Arts however is going through hard times.

Hope this helps!!