1L grades + OCI success

Pizzaandpasta

Pizzaandpasta
  • Applicant

Hi everyone,

I was really disappointed in myself after I got my first semester grades back (I’m in 1L). I got B’s and B+’s across the board and one C+. I applied for the 1L recruit with the expectation that I wouldn’t get anything, but that it would be good practice for the 2L recruit and force me to have my application materials ready to go whenever I needed them for future jobs. 

If I do really well in this second semester (say at least a couple of A’s) - how realistic is it to expect that I’ll get at least a few interviews in the 2L recruit? 

in other words, did the C+ on my transcript just completely butcher my chances of doing well in the 2L recruit? I’m really worried and stressed. Disappointed in myself too but I’m also determined to give the second semester my all and do really well. 

is there anyone on here who scored interviews and got through successfully even with a C or something lower on their 1L transcript? 

TIA! 

chaboywb
  • Lawyer

Had a C+. Got 12 OCIs and a job through the recruit. That said, I had a few A- and an A as well. You’ll want to do better in second semester to improve your shot at the recruit but its not the end of the line yet.

• Like 3

C_Terror
  • Lawyer

All the firms will see are your final 1L grades (unless your C+ is a one term course). That said, you can EASILY pull it up to a B+/A- at the end of 1L. I was in the same boat as you, had a C+ and a B- average after 1L first term. I ended up being able to pick and choose the 20 OCIs I wanted to do during the 2L recruit and got 4 offers on call day.

• Like 1

Pizzaandpasta
  • Applicant

Wow thank you both for your responses- makes me feel a lot better and not completely disheartened anymore! The C+ was a one term course, there’s no course offered at my school that runs the whole year. So I really am aiming for a couple of A’s at least to offset the C+. Thanks for your input again I appreciate it! 

Is there anything you guys did throughout the summer or something to ensure that you would secure at least a few interviews? Like network aggressively? Coffee chats? Cold emails? Or did you mostly rely on your grades to do the talking? 

stampedelaw
  • Applicant

I feel that you should have some "hook" on your resume and cover letter so that the firms will give you interviews because they are curious about you. This is what I think is equally, if not more, important as your grades. For instance, you may be an athlete, or you volunteered somewhere, or you had untraditional career path prior to law school, etc. Tell them a brief and interesting story. My 1L midterm grades are not very competitive, but I guess my work and life experience prior to law school makes some firms interested in me. The “Interest outside law school” section is also important, if you have some impressive hobbies (not necessarily expensive ones). I actually showed my drawings to them during the interview.

Our career advisor said: "Never downplay anything you did", which I believe is the principle for creating one's resume and cover letter. 

• Thanks 1

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

From the firm (Toronto biglaw) perspective, I agree one C+ is not the end of the world but improvement in second term will really improve your chances.  Also, what law school are we talking about here?  Firms go much deeper into the pool at some schools than others, as we all know, so having "average" 1L grades at U of T will not kill you, whereas they might pose a challenge at Windsor, etc.

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
11 hours ago, Pizzaandpasta said:

Is there anything you guys did throughout the summer or something to ensure that you would secure at least a few interviews? Like network aggressively? Coffee chats? Cold emails? Or did you mostly rely on your grades to do the talking? 

Networking had zero value for me. I didn't get a single OCI from firms that I networked with. Not to say it can't ever be valuable, but as someone who has had networking chats with students as an associate, I typically forget their name within 15 minutes of the call/coffee ending. That's not meant to be condescending - it's just the reality that you're not going to make a significant impression through a coffee chat, although you might learn a thing or two that will help you in differentiating firms down the line.

I recommend doing something interesting in your 1L summer that will stand out in interviews. I had a pretty cool RA position that came up a lot in my OCIs.